2nd range day results.

rhipsher

The 3 things I changer that seemed to make a big difference was I tried some different ammo for one. I changed the bipod that I had been using which allowed it to pivot from side to side to one I had that was totally stationary. Then I adjusted my trigger and lightened up the pounds to half of what the factory setting was. I have no complaints about the groups I shot today at 200 yards with this WM. I'm very pleased with it. I will keep experimenting with different bullets to see if there isn't some that this rifle likes even better. After I adjusted the scope this is what I was able to do consistently. I'm stoked about the 200 yard results. Now this is more like it.:hump:
bb3_zpsc94965be.jpg

bb2_zps9b2c30c7.jpg

These are the new bullets I tried. Remington 200gr SWIFT A-FRAME PSP. The rifle likes those much better than the Winchester's.
bb6_zps8cb64ecc.jpg

Academy has far better prices and more selection that Bass pro shops. They also had cases of green tip penetrator 5.56X45mm FMJ 62gr in cases of 1000 500 and 150 so I picked up a 150 case for $69 for the AR. So I loaded up the 60 round magazine with those. After getting the WM where I liked it was time to have some fun with the AR-15.
bb7_zps03e5759a.jpg

While I was at Academy I also saw .300 WM ammo in 208gr Amex "which I've heard excellent things about" 210gr also 220gr. I did not even know you could get 220gr off the shelf for the WM but Academy had it all.
I made a vid of me dialing in and shooting the WM just to see if I flinch at the recoil. I saw no signs of me flinching at all. I'm totally comfortable with the recoil of that rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_tXBEqlPM&feature=em-upload_owner

Having a little fun with the AR afterwords.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg_S_EWTdv0&feature=em-upload_owner Although it was a good day I'm still striving for continuous improvement. Because somewhere up in Alaska thousands of miles from me is a large brown bear. And one day our paths are going to cross and when they do this .300WM is the rifle that's going to do the deed. I have no doubt about that.:D

Hard enough to print a group like that @ 100. Good shooting....and troubleshooting.

There's no other feeling quite like shooting groups like that with your hunting rifle.

Tremendous confidence builder.

I knew I wasn't that bad of a shot. But after the way things went last time at the range youd think i was on drugs or something lol! Just needed to make some changes and it was done.

This is the view from where those shots were made.
bb4_zps415c8429.jpg

I don't think I could have done any better even with a rifle that cost twice as much like the .300 RUM or Sendero. This is just a standard nothing fancy $599 Remington 700 rifle. But anything beyond 200 yards will require a more powerful Leupold for sure. The reticle was getting pretty thick with only 4 X 9 power. My shooting range goes all the way up to 600 yards which is about the 1 Oclock position around the corner. People don't walk out there to changer their targets. They jump in their trucks and drive out there to do it. 600 yards is a long way to walk lol.

Last edited:
I put my money on the trigger work....
I tend to agree 50%. The other 50% was on bullet selection. I'm no ballistic scientist but the rifle just seemed to favor those 200gr A frames. If you asked me why I couldn't tell you. Kinda like the way I prefer blonds over brunettes lol!
IMG_20131025_195000_814_zpsba3c8aaa.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shooting!!! If you find some Amax bullets they are good deer bullets but not heavy enough construction for big bears-stick with the A-frames for them.
Amax are the only match bullet I would hunt deer with.
I prefer brunettes but Married a blond.-Its whatever works.

Nice shooting!!! If you find some Amax bullets they are good deer bullets but not heavy enough construction for big bears-stick with the A-frames for them.
Amax are the only match bullet I would hunt deer with.
I prefer brunettes but Married a blond.-Its whatever works.
Hahaha! I hear ya brother. I guess good lovin is good lovin blonde or brunette.:hump:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back