291-50

Didn't draw it this year but drew it last season. Had a lot of fun out there. Lots of public ground in that unit between forest service, BLM, and block management. Shooting a deer shouldn't be an issue, and if you put in some time and some foot work you should have a good chance at a good buck. Also, all the land owners in the block management program were easy to work with, so make sure you take the time to go ask permission and get some landowner advice. I guess one more piece of advice I would have for you is don't totally burn yourself out early. If you are elk hunting too focus on that rut before you start chasing deer around. Put a lot of hours in and when the mule deer rut starts you will know it. Bucks will come out of the wood work. We had to work around school with our hunts and we both took pretty decent 5x5's but if we could have had a string of days when that rut hit hard, who knows what we would have come up with.

Last edited:
I have been lucky enough to hunt this unit twice. Pfunk definately gave you some good info. My experience was the good bucks were higher earlier in the year and then moved down to where the does were once the rut started picking up. Good luck! You will get to see a lot of deer if you put the time in!

Thanks guys for the responses. Anyone have any pics. Sorry I did not give a quick into.

I live in Montana and hunt whenever I get the chance. I don't really want to go into a lot of personal info on a public forum.

Here are the pictures of my buck and MTPharmHunter's buck from 291-50 last year. He will have to get you a photo of his first buck in that unit because I don't have that one. Certainly not monsters by any means, but this is my first mule deer so I was happy with it. We saw some bigger bucks earlier in the year while bow hunting but when rifle season rolled around we just couldn't seem to find them again, but we were also spending some time chasing elk elsewhere. Like I said, if we had hunted with the mindset of going after a monster, we may have been able to find one during the rut. Working around school made it a little tougher for us, but if you a flexible schedule and can get time to get out whenever the rut hits in November, you may have a shot at a dandy.

057.jpg

Ryan2011buck.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back