.284 on a short action?

Curious what you mean by that?

I am assuming you mean COAL in a short action. The mag extension will be more than enough but ejection of a loaded cartridge appears to be the hurdle. It may be I have to shorten some but initial measurements looks like it should be able to eject a loaded cartridge to 2.9" not sure if I'll be able to get longer than that. Worst case is staying at 2.8. I don't really want to deal with removing the bolt.

The smith doing the job says 2.9 works. I guess we'll see. I may load some dummy cartridges to make sure.

the ejection port can be opened. I do it all the time to fit rounds as big as the 338 lapua in the xp100 actions.

150gr ELDX is loaded to 2.995" per Hornady X manual, and still nowhere near the lands on my rifle.
This also puts the bullet shank/boat tail inline with the neck/shoulder junction on the case.

How much bullet do you want protruding into the powder space?

Not exactly an answer but I as little as possible past the shoulder. For what my expectation is I don't think it will become an issue. Could be wrong though. I could better answer that question when the brass gets shipped.

I’d just find a mid length or a long action and do the 284 as intended.

it will do the long range and be a stomper at normal hunting ranges with the 160 class bullets.

I also would not waste my time with a rechamber....don’t let a 200-300 barrel stand in your way of perfection.
He indicated that it will be a rebarrel job.

Curious what you mean by that?

I am assuming you mean COAL in a short action. The mag extension will be more than enough but ejection of a loaded cartridge appears to be the hurdle. It may be I have to shorten some but initial measurements looks like it should be able to eject a loaded cartridge to 2.9" not sure if I'll be able to get longer than that. Worst case is staying at 2.8. I don't really want to deal with removing the bolt.

The smith doing the job says 2.9 works. I guess we'll see. I may load some dummy cartridges to make sure.
Just use the action as is and if with long bullets they end up being too long for the magazine you will end up having a bolt action limited to being a single shot. Something like that wouldn't bother me. BTW you didn't say what action you'll be using.

Just use the action as is and if with long bullets they end up being too long for the magazine you will end up having a bolt action limited to being a single shot. Something like that wouldn't bother me. BTW you didn't say what action you'll be using.
It is a Remington 700 short action. It's a shillen barrel with less than 40 rounds down the barrel. It's a custom job that I originally intended to be a .284 but let myself get talked out of it. I have some money saved up and was trying to get what I originally wanted.

And like I've said, I'm not arguing that it's practical, just scratching an itch I've had for 20 years.

It is a Remington 700 short action. It's a shillen barrel with less than 40 rounds down the barrel. It's a custom job that I originally intended to be a .284 but let myself get talked out of it. I have some money saved up and was trying to get what I originally wanted.

And like I've said, I'm not arguing that it's practical, just scratching an itch I've had for 20 years.
In case I missed it, what is it chambered for now?

7-08, which I know is more practical. I just always wanted a .284 and let others talk me out of it. So now I have a very expensive gun that I am not satisfied with.

Not tryin' to piss on anyone's Cherio's.....but, Why go through all the bother? From 'Yotes to Moose none will die any faster if you just use a 7/08. The money savings can be used to import some 'Lope to VA !! :)
I get it. I was the same way about my 338 Fed. Didn't need it, just wanted one for...ohhhh, 20 years. Plus it was a mission to keep me focused on something other than daily annoying BS.

With a wyatts box you should be just fine. Might need to tweak the mag box lips a little but it should feed well.
How does the current 7-08 shoot? A 284win would clean up a 7-08 chamber especially if set back a turn.
I agree with build what YOU want and will be happy/confident with. A rechamber is pretty simple also.

Dropped it off today. We took some initial measurements and it looks like we can get to a COAL of 2.9 with no problem and maybe 2.95 with only the extended box. I believe the plan is to put in a short mag follower as well. He has a reamer that won't put such a long throat so I can get closer to the lands. I'm pretty excited.

My experience with the SAAMI reamed chambers are that the throat is quite long.
160gr Sierra HPBT GameKing seated out to the lands is barely held by the neck.

Concentricity is the name of the game.
The SAAMI drawing shows a very short throat, but a very shallow lead angle. It’s possible that you had to seat quite long to get the lands to engrave.

Why do many folks who build 6.5/284s use a long action?
Also, the SAAMI max cartridge length for a .284Win(2.800, which is also the standard magazine length of a 700 S/A) has the bullets deeper than a competitive shooter trying to get the most out of TW cartridge would seat them. The 6.5-284 was standardized by Norma as a long range match cartridge. Why waste case capacity by seating bullets deeper in the case than necessary?

Of course, if you’re hunting and already have a S/A, or have an illogical bias against L/As(I have an illogical bias against magnums and illogical bias toward the .222 over the .223) then you just seat the bullets deeper.

Dropped it off today. We took some initial measurements and it looks like we can get to a COAL of 2.9 with no problem and maybe 2.95 with only the extended box. I believe the plan is to put in a short mag follower as well. He has a reamer that won't put such a long throat so I can get closer to the lands. I'm pretty excited.
A SAAMI reamer doesn’t have a very long throat, HOWEVER, if he has a reamer with a 1.5 degree lead angle AND a short throat, then you’re really cooking.

All throats eventually wear to a lead angle of 1.5 degrees. Shallow throat erode quickly, and it can take some real distance before it reaches 1.5 degrees.

Most hunting bullets tolerate jump pretty well. You’ll be fine either way, BUT if you have the option, a short throat with a 1.5 degree lead would suit you best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back