Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

280 Rem thoughts

I had a Remington 700 MTN Rifle in 280 Remington
I just bought one - Remington 700 Mountain Rifle LSS in .280 Rem. I've been working toward building either a 280 AI or 280 Rem off a stainless Remington 700 action. I came across a good deal on this gun and decided to grab it. I already have a Timney trigger to put on it and get rid of that X-Mark Pro that comes from the factory (actually I think there are far worse factory triggers, but still not crazy about it). I figure I'll mess around with this thing for a while and I can always re-barrel it if I decide to later.

I just bought one - Remington 700 Mountain Rifle LSS in .280 Rem. I've been working toward building either a 280 AI or 280 Rem off a stainless Remington 700 action. I came across a good deal on this gun and decided to grab it. I already have a Timney trigger to put on it and get rid of that X-Mark Pro that comes from the factory (actually I think there are far worse factory triggers, but still not crazy about it). I figure I'll mess around with this thing for a while and I can always re-barrel it if I decide to later.
Sounds like a nice project to work on!! Either the 280 AI or the 280 Remington would be sweet to have. Show some pictures as it goes forward.

Haha! I was studying your rifle build thread and it helped me decide to buy the 700 mountain as well. I'll be buying a timney too.

You could always rechamber your 280 to the AI version if you wish to burn a bit more powder, and save to cost of a re-barrel job.. I really can not see the reason for doing so as the 280 is a fine cartridge in it's original form. Despite the optimistic views of 7mm RM users and ammunition manufacturers, my chronographs tell me that a handloaded 280 is very close behind the 7RM with the mid-weight bullets. If the original 280 will do basically everything a 7RM will do, I am not quite sure of the need to punch out the case to the 280 AI, except to have something different.

I have this idea about putting a 24" or 26" rem/age barrel on it chambered in 280 AI. Just really not sure; I haven't even shot this rifle yet. I intend to mess around with it for a while, a year or so, just the way it is - a 280 Rem 700 Mountain with a "22 barrel. I might decide I love the way it is.

I’ve got a couple of 700 long actions in the safe and I’m contemplating a . 280 build. Seems like a great do all cartridge.

I’ve got a couple of 700 long actions in the safe and I’m contemplating a . 280 build. Seems like a great do all cartridge.
Go 280AI - it was cool for about 3 months in 2019 before folks got all jiggy about PRCs. :)

I have a 280 Rem built on an FN Mauser. The barrel is just 20 inches but loosing 60 to 70 FPS is no big deal in a really handy rifle. I load 140 accubond over 57 grains of RL19 and shoot sub MOA all day long. I am loading them set way back. OAL is 3.296 just to get them to fit in the magazine. Have taken Mule Deer, Whitetail, Pronghorn and hogs with it. Have hunted elk but haven't killed one with this rifle. I have a 150 Partition load that is really accurate also. Data is out in the cave but I think it is 55 grains of IMR 4831. Not the hottest load in the book but VERY accurate.

Last edited:
I used a 280 Remington for years on everything from deer to moose with 140gr TBBC bullets. It flat worked with little recoil. My break it out for elk season this year just because.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back