28 Nosler off season build (will this cartridge kill an elk)?

This build started last fall when I bought this blank proof 7 mm barrel to rebarrel my savage 110 that already had a shielen barrel in 28 Nosler sitting on a choate stock that was inletted for cip mags. It was a great shooting gun, had about 3-400 rds down the tube. It was just ugly. So I figured I would have it chambered whenever I got around to it and ready to screw on once I toasted the shilen barrel. My plan really was to put more lipstick on that pig so to speak.

IMG_1613.jpeg

Hunting season came and I loaned the 28 savage to my BIL. After shooting it a couple times, banging steel for the first time at 1k he liked it so much he started making offers. So I threw him a bone and gave it to him cheaper than what he offered. A custom savage 110 in 28, 2 cip mags, 100 loaded rds of 195’s @3150, 20 moa rail, warne mt tech rings, and a vx3 I Lrp 8.5x whatever, for 1k. Even set up the 4dof app for him with the correct data so all he had to do was enter the elevation. And so the pig was gone.

But I still had a 7mm blank.

Last edited:
Few months go by and Apa had a sale on their fat bastards. Did I need one, no, but it was a great deal. Now I would have a foundation for making the argument to the wife that I had half the parts to make another gun.

IMG_1359.jpeg

Ooof! Got the barreled action mounted to the stock. Went to mount the scope and the once used PMR rings I had laying around decided to go full vortex warranty on me. Geeez! What a stupid problem to have. Tried spraying it with some wd 40 then using the screw as a tap to it back and forth, for whatever reason it’s cross threading about half way down.

IMG_1672.jpeg

Hopefully a Helena box store will have some 30 mm med rings that aren’t chit that I can have the wife pick up. Stuck home with a sickly kid so range day will wait to tomorrow.

IMG_1671.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah. My rifles look different. But, they still kill elk. Who knew? mtmuley
Yeah but hard to beat the versatility, I can run this in a elr match in the summer then hunt with it in the fall. I can have an infinite number of barrels in any la cartridge I want and I’m 10 minutes a torque wrench and barrel vise from a different gun. And everything but that sphur mount is made in America by companies that are still very much Americans

Got through barrel break in (proofs recommended). The brake requires double ear protection for continuous shooting (plugs plus muffs) but with all the screws out there was no muzzle rise and spotting my immediate impacts on 1” dots at 100 was no problem. Recoil was about the same as my 10 lb 6.5 prc .
IMG_1684.jpegIMG_1685.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back