MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

270wsm or 300 win mag for elk ?

Personally I use a Remington Model 700, 300 Win Mag for Elk, and I love it, But a lot of people don't like the recoil of the 300.
A 30-06 does a good job, and some people like the 270.

Kevin

I also use a 300 win mag for elk. I know Alot of ppl do not like the recoil off of the large magnum. Personally I recommend putting a muzzle break on it. I have the Fox River muzzle break on mine and the break is removable. I can put a cap on it and it's back to full recoil.

I have a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM. I got the 300 a few years after getting the 270 because I got a great deal for it. I practice enough out to 500 yards and shot that distAnce a lot in the Marine Corps with open sights. I think the 270 is plenty of gun, killed every deer I shot at with it. With that said, if I can up the odds of killing the animal even a few seconds quicker, I am in. In still love both guns by the 300 has my vote. I am also 6'2" and 225 lbs so I have a little more wieght to absorb the kick.

With that said I have a 6 shot maximum when I shoot at the range with the 300, after that I find myself flinching, even when I try to consume my thoughts on the target and forget about the trigger pull and recoil.

They are both fantastic guns, you can't go wrong.

I always get a good laugh from the Timmy Tactical's that think you need some kind of rocket launcher to kill elk. I've shot them with .270's and currently push a 165gr Nosler Accubond out of my 30.06 and it works just fine.

I always get a good laugh out of guys that look down their nose at anyone that would use a "magnum" of any caliber to kill elk. mtmuley

I'm very happy with my 300 Win Mag but, since you already own a 270 WSM, I personally would look for a larger caliber like a 338 Win Mag or even a 9.3x62. My hunting buddy uses his 338 Win Mag on everything from hogs to elk. While I'm not an expert, I understand that either would work well on any large game you might encounter in NA. My 9.3x62 is easier to shoot than my 300 Win Mag or my buddy's 338 Win Mag.

I own both a 270 wsm and a 300 wsm and have shot both to kill elk .one shot kills from both, so both will do the job but a second rifle is also nice just in case you Have a problem with one in the field

My experience with elk is that they can really soak up the lead. I only hunt elk with a .300 Winnie.

I'm sure your .270WSM works, but I have to believe a .300 Winnie works better. Besides, there's no such thing as owning too many guns. LOL.

Simple answer.. If you have one, don't buy the other. If you have both, shoot which ever one you shoot best. Measuring the difference in the number of elk killed with 270 or 300 mag over the years, I can't prove it, but I would suspect that there have been more elk killed with the 270 than the big 30..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back