Yeti GOBOX Collection

.270 WSM loads?

Calif. Hunter

Dies and Norma brass are on the way. Anyone load for this cartridge? I'm mainly looking at 130 and 140 gr bullets. I've heard Retumbo and Magpro (?) work well, especially with the 140 gr and up bullets. What works for you?

I'm mainly interested in the 130's with the 140's just in case my rifle doesn't like the lighter ones. This rifle is just for deer and antelope, so I'm not interested in trying to stretch it for larger game.

Which gives better velocity with the 130's - RL 19 or RL-22? I have RL-22, and I have heard that RL-19 can vary quite a bit, from lot to lot.

CH, Use the loads listed for 270 Weatherby Mag and reduce the starting loads by 15% and you should be about right for 270 WSM. I've been doing that with the 6.5 and it works great. Just found out I can do the same with 25X300 WSM.

:cool:

Originally posted by Calif. Hunter:
I'm mainly interested in the 130's with the 140's just in case my rifle doesn't like the lighter ones. This rifle is just for deer and antelope, so I'm not interested in trying to stretch it for larger game.

Which gives better velocity with the 130's - RL 19 or RL-22? I have RL-22, and I have heard that RL-19 can vary quite a bit, from lot to lot.
By the manual, re-22 is faster, by my PACT there is less than 60 FPS difference. RE-19 shots a little tighter groups. I bought 4 large (5 lbs) bottles of re-19 a few years back-same lot- so I can't comment on variation. I'll post some loads when I get back on moday.

67.0 gr Re-19 with the swift scirocco (130 gr) is running 3268 fps from my super shadow. 67.5 is swifts book max but the bolt on my rifle started to get a little sticky there. 68.5 gr of re-22 is book max for the same bullet is listed as max from the same source.

I loaded some up with Re-22 and 130 gr. Hornady Interlocks. I think I started at 65 gr and worked up to 68 gr. I also tried one load with IMR-4350. I had a box of 140 gr Sierra HPBTs, and loaded them for variety. Then I will start playing with different brand bullets.

I picked up the Vanguard, and the test target shows slightly under an inch for 3 shots, factory ammo (130 gr) - whatever brand they used. So that is cool. Naturally, I hope to beat that with good handloads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back