270 wsm ammo

50bowhunter

I have a new Tikka 270 wsm I need to start burning some powder on. Looking for some suggestions for factory ammo. This will be for eastern whitetail and mule deer/pronghorn.

I have Tikka 270WSM. The best round ever was the Federal 140GR loaded with Nosler Accubond but..... they dont make it anymore. I am down to my last two boxes. Shot 1/2 groups all day. Whacked a bunch of deer and Antelope. Nosler loads a 140 AB in their Trophy Grade . I am going to switch to that this year.

I use the Nosler Trophy Grade in 140AB as well. I have also used the Barnes Vortex. Both have killed many animals. They are not, however, a joy to shoot.

I load 140 accubonds in my 270 wsm. They are fantastic.

I was sorely disappointed in everything I shot out of my 270 WSM (Accubonds, Partitions, Fusions, and handful of others) until I started shooting copper bullets. TSX and TTSX have both performed flawlessly for me.

I was sorely disappointed in everything I shot out of my 270 WSM (Accubonds, Partitions, Fusions, and handful of others) until I started shooting copper bullets. TSX and TTSX have both performed flawlessly for me.

What caused your disappointment? Too much meat ruined? Bullets not penetrating enough?

What caused your disappointment? Too much meat ruined? Bullets not penetrating enough?

Excessive meat damage. The worst was the Accubond. I don't need a grapefruit sized exit hole and stomach content everywhere. I understand I was using a magnum caliber for hunting thick cover in Minnesota and that's not what it was designed to do. Switching to copper bullets was the best thing I've done. I've since killed everything from an antelope at 40 yards to a moose at 320 yards and everything in between with absolutely perfect performance. Until I switched, I was strongly considering selling the gun. I'm glad I didn't.

The 140gr Trophy bonded tipped shoots good groups from mine. So far it has worked on a whitetail buck and a cow elk, both at about 150 yards.

Its one of my favorite rounds. Never had much meat damage on deer. Did have a problem with an antelope that would not stand up after an hour. I got bored ( and back sore) so I shot him in the neck at 150 yrds. That left a mark with 140 AB.

For me I step up to .30 for elk and bigger. 270 WSM will work but .30's work better.

Its one of my favorite rounds. Never had much meat damage on deer. Did have a problem with an antelope that would not stand up after an hour. I got bored ( and back sore) so I shot him in the neck at 150 yrds. That left a mark with 140 AB.

For me I step up to .30 for elk and bigger. 270 WSM will work but .30's work better.
I love it when my elk is deader than dead 🤣😎

I know you said factory ammo but I am waiting for the 150 grain accubonds to be released. Hopefully will work out great in my wsm.

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but I have taken a break from hunting and getting back in. My 270 WSM, also liked the Federal 140AB load. Now that it's gone how has the Nosler version been? I see Win makes one too. I am planning on getting into reloading again as well, but one thing at a time. Any update would be appreciated.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back