270 Weatherby Mag Ruger #1 ammo help

I just got lucky and won a Ruger #1 270 Weatherby Mag. What would be a good choice in factory ammo ? What grain would be best
If you can find them, the Weatherby with accubonds shoot amazing for me in my 300 WBY. Damn tough to find ammo for Weatherby lately.

I’d say as heavy as you can get. Weatherby shoots hot so having some fat on the bullet will help.

My .270 Wby mag loves the 140-gr Accubond factory loads and the 130-gr Barnes TTSX factory loads. Neither is easy to find although I have had some luck tracking down some of the Barnes ammo on gunbroker.com

The Nosler loads are almost impossible to locate. And I just got an email from Weatherby saying they wouldn’t offer factory loads with Nosler projectiles due to inconsistent availability. That was bummer news.

Last edited:
My .270 Wby mag loves the 140-gr Accubond factory loads and the 130-gr Barnes TTSX factory loads. Neither is easy to find although I have had some luck tracking down some of the Barnes ammo on autotrader.com

The Nosler loads are almost impossible to locate. And I just got an email from Weatherby saying they wouldn’t offer factory loads with Nosler projectiles due to inconsistent availability. That was bummer news.
Is that for all cartridges!?

I found some 150gr Nosler Partiotions, 130gr Hornady interlock and 130gr Barnes TSX. Thinking the 150gr Partitions ?

I found some 150gr Nosler Partiotions, 130gr Hornady interlock and 130gr Barnes TSX. Thinking the 150gr Partitions ?
Yup I sure as hell would. Buy as much as you can afford. The sucky part is if your gun likes it, it’s on borrowed time with the ammo.

Yup I sure as hell would. Buy as much as you can afford. The sucky part is if your gun likes it, it’s on borrowed time with the ammo.
Will be placing an order in the morning for numerous boxes. Thanks

Pretty nice gun. 1998 RMEF banquet gun never fired. Won in a fund raising raffle to honor a friend who passed away this year. They’re going to get a plaque placed on a guzzler in Nevada in his honor. He was instrumental in establishing sheep herds across Nevada As he was a biologist for NDOW for many years. It was quite the honor to win this gun

I really like mine. Shoots super flat. Very accurate. I really like it. I’ll probably have to start reloading.

The 270 WBY shines with the heavier for caliber bullets like the 140s and 150s. Finding them not so easy though.
Finding components to reload for it is a PITA too. Finally found 140 ABs this week after looking forever. Guy at Nosler told me the 140 gr ballistic tips shoot the same for quite a bit cheaper so I might load up a few and see if that John Denver is full of sh*t
Nosler hasn't run 270 bullets in forever

Ooh, I perked right up when I saw this thread. I also have a Ruger No. 1 in a 270 Wby. I’m no help with the ammo though - I buy whatever is available anymore, which isn’t much. Used to shoot 150 gr partitions, haven’t seen those in a few years. Think my current bullets are 130 gr interlock, because that’s what I was able to get.

I ordered a few boxes of 150 gr Nosler Partitions . Hopefully they shoot well

Well you’re doing better than I have, I haven’t found those in forever. Dare I ask your source? Ha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back