Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

.260 to 7mm-08 ?

mdhunter

Ok, I have a Remington 700 ADL chambered in .260. It has the cheap synthetic stock, not bedded. Trigger is out course factory heavy (this rifle is circa 1999). It will certainly kill deer however it has the distinction of being the least accurate rifle I own. I would describe it as approximately a 2” moa. I have tried hand loading and while accuracy has improved it still sits in the back of the safe. She is a safe queen but far from a queen.

With COVID creating too much computer time I had the thought of turning this into a project. Perhaps a rebarrel to 7mm-08 along with a new stock and proper Timney trigger would be just what the doctor ordered for this rifle.

Would this switch work? Have I lost my mind?

I hate to see anybody get rid of a 260 but a 7-08 is a worthy replacement choice! Not sure of your attachment to the rifle but you could probably come out cheaper selling and buying a new 7-08. Of course projects are always fun too!

Tn2 brings up good point, this rifle has never been accurate why not just sell it? Start from scratch and build exactly what you want. That way avoid things like truing action or you may just build a only slightly more accurate 7mm08.

Ok, I have a Remington 700 ADL chambered in .260. It has the cheap synthetic stock, not bedded. Trigger is out course factory heavy (this rifle is circa 1999). It will certainly kill deer however it has the distinction of being the least accurate rifle I own. I would describe it as approximately a 2” moa. I have tried hand loading and while accuracy has improved it still sits in the back of the safe. She is a safe queen but far from a queen.

With COVID creating too much computer time I had the thought of turning this into a project. Perhaps a rebarrel to 7mm-08 along with a new stock and proper Timney trigger would be just what the doctor ordered for this rifle.

I think that .260 is a fantastic cartridge, that said the 7mm-08 is too.

I would do the other mods you are talking about first: stock, trigger, etc. hold on the rebarrel until you see how that turns out. I think you might find that a good trigger, and a well bedded quality stock might have a big impact on that rifle.

My 700 in .260.

260 Rem 700.jpg

I should mention I am far from a .260 hater. Heck, I purchased that thing new so I was just about on the cutting edge of the .260's, lol.

I should also mention that I own a custom 6.5 x 47. It was built by Jim Borden and shoots bug holes. Whatever I do to this .260 will fall far short of its accuracy. I thought the 7mm-08 would fill a gap in my cartridges. Big Fin drops elk with his, why can't I?

I should mention I am far from a .260 hater. Heck, I purchased that thing new so I was just about on the cutting edge of the .260's, lol.

I should also mention that I own a custom 6.5 x 47. It was built by Jim Borden and shoots bug holes. Whatever I do to this .260 will fall far short of its accuracy. I thought the 7mm-08 would fill a gap in my cartridges. Big Fin drops elk with his, why can't I?

If you already have a 6.5 Lapua, I would defiantly look at the 7mm-08, or maybe even the 338 Federal....

As others have said, restock and properly free float and bed it before you give up on that barrel. I recently took a $255 Rem 700 ADL Walmart special in 30-06 that was a 2” gun and turned it into a 1/2” gun without any metal work.

Then if it still doesn’t shoot accurately enough for you, you’ve already got the stock work done.

So is your 6.5L from Borden a hunting weight sporter, and you're looking to have another similar option? Or are you filling a niche and doing something different with this .260/7-08? If you're shooting 120-140's in a .260, rebarreling to a 7-08 to shoot 120-140's won't do anything different or better than accurizing your .260 would.

If you want to twist a new 7-08 fast, and get a longer mag box then you have a somewhat different suite of bullet options to deliver. The number on the case head is just a number. If you want a 7-08 just because you want a 7-08, there's nothing wrong with that either.

What bullets are you shooting? Those factory 260's usually don't shoot heavies very well. they have like a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist while the new ones aer 1:8 I think. The one I have shoots 120's really well, but struggles with the longer 130gr+ bullets. Its one of the best shooting rifles I own, was tweaked/trued a bit by Shilen, but still factory parts with bedding. 120gr Ballistic shoot 1/2" or less, while 140gr anything... won't shoot better than 1.5" if that. Factory Federal was in the 2.5-3" range.

I was given a 700 ADL in that plastic stock years ago. Really bad shooting rifle. I like to bed my stocks so took this one apart to bed it. Well the factory bedding was so tight it didn't need action screws! I cleaned out the barrel channel first then the action and tried putting it back to together to see where I was, wouldn't go together. Not sure how they did it at the factory. Recoil lug turned out is really tight, make that was! Re-did the bedding and the barrel action goes in and out easily now. Best part is it's a great shooter also. With that rifle I would certainly check bedding before quiting on it. 7-08 would likely make you a good rifle that will give heavier bullet's if you want them. Around here finding 264 bullet's over 140gr is all but impossible.

I would do the other mods you are talking about first: stock, trigger, etc. hold on the rebarrel until you see how that turns out. I think you might find that a good trigger, and a well bedded quality stock might have a big impact on that rifle.

My 700 in .260.

View attachment 169163
Nice looking rig !

Don't waste your time attempting to bed the tupperware garbage stock that is on it from the factory. You cannot get epoxy to stick to injection molded plastic.

Don't waste your time attempting to bed the tupperware garbage stock that is on it from the factory. You cannot get epoxy to stick to injection molded plastic.
Your welcome to bring your chisel over and see how well it's attached to 2 of mine.
It will adhere. You need the proper prep.
And something other than Acraglass.

To the OP.

Again, your shooting a Borden rifle and don't realize the potential for a better trigger, and stock?

Your welcome to bring your chisel over and see how well it's attached to 2 of mine.
It will adhere. You need the proper prep.
And something other than Acraglass.

To the OP.

Again, your shooting a Borden rifle and don't realize the potential for a better trigger, and stock?

Mile has stuck fine. I rough the surface and use JB Weld.

My 700 in .260.

View attachment 169163
What’s the stock (brand/model)? That’s a sharp-looking rig!

I have the same rifle that I bought about the same time (1999). I put a Timney trigger in it and that’s helped. I’ve shot Nosler 120 gr BT, Nosler 125 gr Partitions and Hornady 129 gr Interlocks and all three have given me 1 1/4 MOA groups or better. I’ve not really done much load development for it, just picked a powder out of the book that I had on the shelf and went with it. If I get time this year I’ll do the ladder test and maybe try the 130 gr Accubond (if I can find them). The 120 gr BT drops antelope pretty well though....hard to beat.

Sad footnote....the same time I bought the 260 I also had the gun shop order me the 7mm-08 version. When it came in I actually passed on buying it. Had the 260 and also a 30-06 in the same rifle and decided I didn’t need the 7mm-08. Wish I had that decision back. The -06 is really accurate......1/2 MOA with 150 gr Interlocks and MOA with 165 BT’s and Partitions. I has a Timney trigger too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back