.257 Wthby prairie dog loads

Calif. Hunter

I have some 85 gr ballistic tips and a couple boxes of Speer 100 gr spitzers. Will the 100 gr spitzers ricochet badly if loaded up to 3500 + FPS? I'd like to go ahead and use these bullets up while reaching waaaaay out there, but I think it may be best to stick with the ballistic tips.....

Any load advice? I use RL-22 with 100 gr triple shocks.

I'd imagine your ricochet potential would be much less with the 85's, but for LONG shots go with whichever has the highest BC.

AZ in June can make for some HOT, HOT days. If you decide to stay with R-22 I'd consider backing down a bit as from many accounts it gets a bit wierd in hot weather. 24hour has a thread going on about this topic now...

Cali, did you crony the 85 bt's?
gotta be teasing 39..

JB - first, bite me.

Second, I haven't even loaded any of the 85's or the 100 gr Speers yet. ;) I will have to see how fast I can push them.

1-pointer - I will probably try to find a load with a Hodgdon "Extreme" powder to minimize the heat effect. I won't leave my ammo sitting around in the sun, but it may still be warm. I wish I could find some of the Ramshot/Western powders around here, but no one stocks them within a 2 hour drive.

T Bone - we simply have to see who can hit one the furthest out, don't we? I can't let Dennis with his .308 and 168 gr Matchkings beat me.

IMR 4831 or 4350 will put close to 4000 with the 85s and they're both real consistent in terms of pressure and velocity. IMR 7828 is a good powder for the 100s.

JB - first, bite me.

Second, I haven't even loaded any of the 85's or the 100 gr Speers yet. I will have to see how fast I can push them.

F U Cali....and be sure and post the results of the 85's.....hope the 257 wby likes um.

JB - I found some of the .270 WSM brass for that POS I sold you :) It is mixed Norma and Federal. I'll count it up and let you know what I have. I don't have as much as I thought I did...or else there is more lurking somewhere. I think I sent the dies along with the rifle.

yep,...you sent the dies with the POS. Thanks.

The ulitimate trifecta......................... 257", 100SGK, and Dogs......

The .257" 100SGK is simply a brutal bastard and there isn't a better combo on the Planet,for dogs...............

great, someone tracked dog shit in here!

Might I add............

JB Average,knows less than dick...on the average.

Very few have a real inkling as to that which is both possible and reliably formulated............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yz125braz
Back