257 Weatherby zero

I have a VX3-I 4.5-14x40 CDS on mine and have a 200 yard zero. About 1.7” high @ 100. I have shot long range (for me long range) to 700 yards with the CDS and it has been spot on. I shoot 110 accubons around 3400 FPS. Love the gun and combo. It’s my go to deer and lope hunting rifle.

it is a lot of fun to get to a distance
range with steel. I played with the CDS a lot and was very impressed. I would mix up distances...200 then 700 then 400 and back to 100. Always right back to zero and center punched the steel at all ranges.

I have a VX3-I 4.5-14x40 CDS on mine and have a 200 yard zero. About 1.7” high @ 100. I have shot long range (for me long range) to 700 yards with the CDS and it has been spot on. I shoot 110 accubons around 3400 FPS. Love the gun and combo. It’s my go to deer and lope hunting rifle.

it is a lot of fun to get to a distance
range with steel. I played with the CDS a lot and was very impressed. I would mix up distances...200 then 700 then 400 and back to 100. Always right back to zero and center punched the steel at all ranges.
Maybe you’ve mentioned upstream but what’s the gun and twist rate?

I have a Weatherby vanguard stainless. I have upgraded to a Bell and Carlson stock, added a 2 lbs Timney trigger and had had it glass bedded. I believe it has a 1-10 twist rate but not sure. It will shoot 1/2 MOA if I do my job. It’s a very fun rifle.

AccuMark with VX5HD and 3 rounds weighs in at 11# give or take. Heaviest hunting rifle I have.
Considering getting a lighter Weatherby.
Thats kinda where I am at as well if the scale is correct mine comes in at 10.8 pounds.

The more you use it you will see those are typical results. I use mine for every hunt now just because I have that much confidence in it. I’ve shot numerous deer and antelope and elk from varying distances and it’s not disappointed me yet. Truly the best caliber I’ve used. I don’t think I’ll ever be without one for the rest of my life
Im curious of the performance on elk.... and what bullet were you using.

Using 110 accubonds, I have had great results on elk. Most don't even move. Minimal meat damage.
Nice. Ive switched to accubonds in just about everything. My 257 is new to me. Dont even have a box through it yet. Ive had a couple people tell me to go ttsx for elk and accubonds for deer. But who really wants to have to switch ammo.

Not that this has to do with the zero of the 257wby, but what do all of your rifles weigh ready to go into the field?
Weatherby mark v weathermark
Leupold vx5 3-15x56 firedot
Backcountry rail
Mark 4 rings
Cheek pad
10 lbs 6 oz with 3 rounds of ammo

Picked up some 115 Partitions a month ago, but haven’t had time to mess with them. Was looking for the 110 AB, but no luck. Mine shoots amazingly well with 100 TSX.

I took a 343 bull with 115 Barnes. I have since switched to the 110 accubond. The bull never took a step after the shot. It was a quartering away shot and I had a complete pass through at 200. It took out the top of the numerous on off shoulder. He spun a little at the shot so I only has a Texas heart shot. As I was trying to move for a second shot he stood there for about 20 seconds. Then just fell over.

Mine shoots plenty well for me with the accubonds. Under 1” at 100 with me minimally doing my part. I def need to shoot more. i have had 2 boxes of accubonds on backorder since this spring, with weatherby moving and then the current state of affairs in our country its been hard to get ammo. I didnt figure i would get too crazy on distance zero since i have the cds.

Now site in for 2” or 3” at 100. You can hold on the body half way across the county and still hit the critter. Death Ray.
This is what I’m doing. For my unlimited sheep hunting I aquired a Weatherby vanguard 257 and with 110 Accubonds if you zero at 330 it’s flat to the next county and max of 4 high around 200.

I try to ignore that persistent, nagging desire to buy a Wby 257, and then threads like this one continue to surface.
I knew almost nothing about the caliber but my buddy wanted to sell a vanguard for $250 and I bought it. Then I come to find out they are named “ death ray “. It has zero throat erosion and is in great shape. Can’t wait to use it. Just scored a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x 40 BDC scope on sale to top it with. Trigger is 4 lbs with a lot of creep so a 2 lb timney will fix that. It seems good so far for an impulse buy.

I knew almost nothing about the caliber but my buddy wanted to sell a vanguard for $250 and I bought it. Then I come to find out they are named “ death ray “. It has zero throat erosion and is in great shape. Can’t wait to use it. Just scored a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x 40 BDC scope on sale to top it with. Trigger is 4 lbs with a lot of creep so a 2 lb timney will fix that. It seems good so far for an impulse buy.
Money well spent. Does the vangaurd have the 24" or 26" tube? It really shines with that 26" tube. If ya load it hot, the life of the barrel will not be as high. I loaded some 100tsx up this spring to see how well they would do and ran them through the chorograph and they were moving fast enough that I figured that my 110 accubonds going 3400+ would be good enough. As stated above current component state is going to be tough. I would start looking to grab any 110 accubonds that you can.

Money well spent. Does the vangaurd have the 24" or 26" tube? It really shines with that 26" tube. If ya load it hot, the life of the barrel will not be as high. I loaded some 100tsx up this spring to see how well they would do and ran them through the chorograph and they were moving fast enough that I figured that my 110 accubonds going 3400+ would be good enough. As stated above current component state is going to be tough. I would start looking to grab any 110 accubonds that you can.
This one is 24 inch I believe. It’s made in 2008 I believe.

This one is 24 inch I believe. It’s made in 2008 I believe.
I’ll be on the lookout for them as well as saving the Hornady once fired brass I have that came with the gun in case I need to load some.

I’ll be on the lookout for them as well as saving the Hornady once fired brass I have that came with the gun in case I need to load some.
I would be curious to see how well that Hornady brass does hold up. I know the brass weatherby uses is Norma brass and has held up real well.

I hate Hornady brass! Bought some for my 300 Weatherby and it’s junk. Never, never again.
Picked up Nosler brass for the 257 and not one issue. Been reloading for 35 a never had issues like that before. Hate Hornady brass!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back