Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

.257 Wby Mag?

Oh no... more .257 Wby discussion. I’m really trying to hold off. You guys don’t help. But the new Mark V Weathermark LT.... so tempting!

Last edited:
In the near future, I should have a WY pronghorn tag, a CO pronghorn tag, a MT pronghorn tag, an AZ Coues tag.... just feels like the type of work a .25 Roy (credit: harley) would enjoy. One reason I’m having trouble justifying the .257 purchase is that I picked up this one in .270 Wby mag at a steep discount. Yes, it has a KUIU camo pattern on the stock, but it likes 140-gr Accubonds real well.

(Thanks @schmalts for the glass)

Attachments

• AD14F2C7-40FA-441E-A79A-A1E33ED82F20.jpeg
    AD14F2C7-40FA-441E-A79A-A1E33ED82F20.jpeg
    734.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
In the near future, I should have a WY pronghorn tag, a CO pronghorn tag, a MT pronghorn tag, an AZ Coues tag.... just feels like the type of work a .25 Roy (credit: harley) would enjoy. One reason I’m having trouble justifying the .257 purchase is that I picked up this one in .270 Wby mag at a steep discount. Yes, it has a KUIU camo pattern on the stock, but it likes 140-gr Accubonds real well.

You could just load some 110 TTSX (or whatever other 100-110 gr. copper) in your .270 wby and you basically have a .257 wby.

Oh no... more .257 Wby discussion. I’m really trying to hold off. You guys don’t help. But the new Mark V Weathermark LT.... so tempting!

Buy it! Buy it now! Lol.

The 270 Wby is one of the most underrated cartridges, especially pumping 140s at 3200 fps give or take. I enjoy shooting the 257 a little more but the 270 with Accubonds has been awesome. They aren't new calibers and they don't have the sexy BC that the marketers like, but they get the job done quickly, burn a lot of powder and make a lot of noise.

I doubt you’ll find other hunts that will justify the purchase of a .257 Roy more than the ones you have mentioned.

Don’t fight it. Just buy it, and enjoy it. You can thank me later.

I’m interested in hearing more about you Coues Hunt also.

Last edited:
I think I’m officially hijacking this thread. Sorry to the OP. I blame it on these other guys. They got me started... 😁
Here’s my other Weatherby. It’s a Mark V in 7mm Wby mag. 28 Roy, @noharleyyet ???? It’s over 35 years old but still my favorite for many reasons. A gift from Dad after I notched my first elk with it as a 13-yr-old in ‘91.
CAC23973-2D43-4FEC-9C29-0402BBE83831.jpeg

Mostly pointless story time: I've killed two animals with a .257 wby, but never owned one. The first was a mule deer at 401 yds on my first backpack hunt in roughly 2007. My Ruger MKII firing pin failed to @#)(# as I was setting up for the shot, so my hunting partner/BIL handed me his rifle and I killed him. 100 grain TSX. The second was a fawn on a b tag at 40-50 yds, same borrowed wby, this time we were just packing one rifle to share on purpose. Mom hopped away and the fawn looked back with it's body obscured by a tree. I shot it directly in the face, and it was gruesome. I'll spare the photo on the second. Reminds me I need to add a couple pics to the "as they lay" thread.

As he lay:
as they lay2.jpg

I recently acquired one. I wasn't really looking for one but a buddy couldn't pay back a loan so I have one.
I'm going to use it as a porch gun in East Tx where shots on deer & hogs can go 450 yards. It'll take the place of the 300 WM. But in the woods I use a short barreled 308.
I just acquired the brass & dies & doing some load testing. It is not an economical round. I'm going to keep it as that cartridge is the only 25 caliber that I haven't owned & Roy W really liked it; was his favorite.
Since you already have it, might as well try it out.
Good shooting!

I’m glad to see others out there think the same way I do if the 257 Weatherby. Over the past week I was able to harvest another elk and a pretty decent deer. That brings my elk count with this rifle to 8, a handful of deer and a couple antelope. Pretty much all bang flops.

Golfer,

80 yards is a "chip shot" for the .257 Weatherby. Sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL. :giggle:

Very nice buck, and a great pic too. Thanx for sharing.

I own both calibers and both are awesome calibers. I personally prefer my 25-06 and it is due to a few things, my .257 is just unpleasantly loud for hunting and I prefer the ergonomics of my 25-06 a little better. The .257 shoots slightly flatter but in the end, the difference for the ranges I use them at is minimal. My 25-06 has been my main for two years and my .257 my back-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back