MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.257 Wby Mag?

I'm really hoping so, they grouped better at 68gr powder charge vs a couple higher ones I tried, all were within Nosler load recommendations. I bought some factory Nosler Custom in 110 accubond and chrono'd them, they only were about 3150-3200, no where near the 3400 advertised.
Actual Weatherby ammo is usually hot.

Using factory ammo myself, was going to use 110 accubonds on my sheep hunt, changed my mind and grabbed some 120 grain partitions. Slightly heavier bullet, thinking a bit more knock down power.

Using factory ammo myself, was going to use 110 accubonds on my sheep hunt, changed my mind and grabbed some 120 grain partitions. Slightly heavier bullet, thinking a bit more knock down power.
I've had good success using the weatherby 100gr and 120gr. Just didn't like the cost of the factory loads, but for a hunt like that I wouldn't mind paying for their performance.

If your rifle likes em, go with Accubonds all the way.

I have a couple 257s, awesome! 120 partitions are my favorite bullets, biggest problem is keeping bullets together. Lots of guys use barnes, i have had good sucess with accubonds and interbonds but partitions are just so reliable.

The rifle I shoot is a MK V Ultra Lightweight and I love it, and it shoots the partitions as well as the accubonds. I know 10 grains is not a lot but I’d think the partition would hit a bit harder and stay together better?

I think the partition would probably stay together about the same as the Accubond. It's made to open quick but stay together, much like the Accubond.

Do any of you hunt with them? How do you like it? I found one I like, locally. I can and do reload, though it's not something I like to do. But, I do have the capability to do it.
How does it compare to the 25-06?

It will be used as a whitetail rig almost exclusively.

I do. I bought a used .257 Weatherby Mag in Accumark V during the Great Recession for a steal. It’s a freakin’ laser. Fast and stupid accurate! I shoot Weatherby factory ammo w/ 110 Accubonds.

Took this Whitetail Deer in Alberta, Canada, lazered at 390 yards. One shot, bank-flop.

8A1EA978-2FF4-446F-B7EB-7814298C4BF1.jpeg

Last edited:
2010 CO Mule Deer-1.jpg

I also took this Mule Deer in CO a few years back with my .257 Bee from only 52 yards. I’m not sure what bullet I used. But I do remember that it was moving and I shot it in the neck. At 52 yards the bullet literally exploded and there was no exit hole(s). But it was laying in a puddle of blood that was 3’ in diameter...seriously. The bullet hit the spine and disintegrated in it’s neck turning everything to jelly.

Last edited:
Hahaha - I used to call mine “White Lightning” for that same reason. 110gn Accubonds were deadly on big hogs and devastating on horses.

Ozzy? You wouldn’t happen to drive a Yamaha Wolverine would you?

I love my .257Wby. I’ve shot several deer and antelope with it...including the buck in my profile picture. All of them have been dramatic one shot kills. There is almost no recoil. The first whitetail I shot with a .257Wby was taken with a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I watched a cloud of lung tissue and blood blow out the far side of him when I squeezed the trigger. He went down so fast it was like the ground opened up and swallowed him. Great cartridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back