257 Wby and 120 Partitions

TXLonghorn

I want to push some 120 Partitions out of a MKV with a 26”tube. Any load suggestions?

Wow. Didnt think of looking at any of the reloading books I own! 🤣
Come on golfer, I want to hear what other folks are using.
What load have you worked up for yours?
Really interested in bullet performance.

I'd sell that thing and get a 300wm .... it's clearly not enough. Especially for running shots

Wow. Didnt think of looking at any of the reloading books I own! 🤣
Come on golfer, I want to hear what other folks are using.
What load have you worked up for yours?
Really interested in bullet performance.
I have personally never loaded the 120gr weight for any of the 257's I've had. I much prefer the 110 and 115 grain bullets...

I have personally never loaded the 120gr weight for any of the 257's I've had. I much prefer the 110 and 115 grain bullets...
Tell me about that. What bullet and why did you prefer those weights?
I have so far only shot the 100 and 110 factory ammo on game.
Very dangerous rifle, kills everything I point it at. Wont let the wife touch it.

Tell me about that. What bullet and why did you prefer those weights?
I have so far only shot the 100 and 110 factory ammo on game.
Very dangerous rifle, kills everything I point it at. Wont let the wife touch it.

I didn't want to give up any more velocity. I honestly would be interested in a 120 accubond but not sure that will ever happen. In my new weatherby mark V I picked up I did work a damn good load with 115 TSX. I am curious to see how well those perform on stuff. I've read that the mono bullets hit like heavier bullets, I will be using that load combo this fall. This was the first time I ever got imr 7828ssc to shoot. I personally have nevery had any luck with H-1000 in any of my 257's.

While the history of the caliber revolved around the 100 partitions the 120 partitions with modern powders are magic in that 257 and really make it shine. I use a stiff load of h1000 with mine and its shots great in all 3 of my current 257s. I experimented with the 110 accubonds and interbonds but that 120 just works! I have killed tons of deer several hogs and even elk with it and never once thought i needed more gun.

I couldn't get the 120 partitions to shoot accurate enough out of a Vanguard Submoa. Ended up with 115 ELDX. Not near the bullet the partition is but they did the job. Then again, I have never had any luck getting the partitions to shoot accurately out of any caliber but I keep trying. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

I just loaded a box of 120 NP using Reloader 25. Nosler load data indicates Re25 was the most accurate powder for this bullet. I loaded 4rds each of 67,68,69,70,and 71gr and will try to get out this weekend to shoot them. My rifle is a lefty Accumark

I just loaded a box of 120 NP using Reloader 25. Nosler load data indicates Re25 was the most accurate powder for this bullet. I loaded 4rds each of 67,68,69,70,and 71gr and will try to get out this weekend to shoot them. My rifle is a lefty Accumark
There we go. Very interested to hear about your results.
This is like waiting on next week’s episode....

Everyone is touting those Hammer bullets.
I had never heard of them until started reading these forums.
Theres some knowledge to be found amongst these conversations.

Fellow Lefty Mark V shooter here.

There we go. Very interested to hear about your results.
This is like waiting on next week’s episode....
Admittedly, my engineering brain will take the two most accurate groups and then run another batch of loads with 0.2gr powder charge differences to fine tune it for funsies...you know, to make things more difficult than necessary, as is the engineering way.

Back