Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

250-3000

220yotekiller

I have been reading the Alaska's Wolf Man book and he talks very highly of the 250-3000 round for hunting game up to caribou. Does anyone on here use one? It does seem to be a pretty neat little round.

It was the 6.5 creed of the day. Kind of like Rurak hunting Africa acouple decades later than Glasser, with a 220 swift. Thinking it was the best of the best, and it sucking so bad he wrote a book about using enough gun. 😀

The 250 I'm sure would work fine but I'd rather shoot something a bit bigger. A mature bou bull can be the size of a raghorn elk. I've got nearly 150lbs (cut and wrapped) meat off bulls. Most are a bit smaller. I also think Glasser embellished a bit. Some of his hikes are fantasy. I've walked a lot of the same country.

Also I'd rather have more than 100gr of lead when a griz strolls by, but everyone has their own comfort level.

It’d be ok if you are itching to hunt with a cool old rifle. (Savage 99). I think performance wise you’d have more options with a 243 or 25-06. They originally achieved that 3,000 fps with lighter bullets than 100 grain although there are way more efficient powders now

Mom hunts with a 99A in 250-3000.....she has killed a lot of deer with hers.

A perfectly adequate deer/antelope/coyote cartridge. Well suited to the savage 99. My ex-wife killed a Roosevelt rag horn with hers, but it took a while for him to go down. Definitely not an elk cartridge in my mind.

I have heard that there were rwo different versions of the .250. One was the original 250-3000 which had the twist for the lighter bulet,,,87 grains and going 3,000'/sec and then there was the later .250 Savage which supposedly had the twist for heavier bullets. Anybody know about this?

I had a 99 in 250-3000 and felt the bullet was too light except for ideal situations. Long before I got it, I had a 257 Roberts and I had some Hornady 117 grain round nosed .25 caliiber bullets left over. I loaded them in my 99 with real sweet peep sights but the accuracy was lacking. That was the point at which I sold it.

There was period in my life when I lived in Wyoming and was able to hunt lots and lots of antelope. Again, unless shots were ideal I thought the 250-3000 was lacking, most especially at longer ranges in that often strong Wyoming wind. The bullet just got blown around way too much.

The 250-3000 is a sweet and very efficient caliber, chambered in a long barreled 99 with a graceful shabbel forend i thought was pue eye candy. It was a break through caliber for it's day, but the ,243 just ran it over and left it in the dust.

I have had a quest for what I felt was a effective smaller caliber and did try the 260 Remington in a model 7 but again found the .260, while better in terms of heavier bullets was still less that I wanted. In the end i bought a 6,5x55 swede. It is a full length actiion however
Loving the Savage 99, were i to see one in the 300 Savage I could be tempted to buy it. The Savage 300 is heads and shoulder above the 250-3000 as big game round.

Never shot one and only ever seen one. always figured that would be a perfect deer cartridge. Good selection of bullet's up to 120gr and even with 100gr bullets probably wouldn't tear the bullet up penetrating. Most likely soft recoil for recoil bothered people.

My first deer rifle was my great grandfathers savage 99 in .250

I killed a number of blacktail bucks with it. My family tells stories about grandpa taking Roosevelt elk with it.

It's a neat round. I prefer a little more punch though. They've also gotten fairly spendy.

My first deer rifle was my great grandfathers savage 99 in .250

I killed a number of blacktail bucks with it. My family tells stories about grandpa taking Roosevelt elk with it.

It's a neat round. I prefer a little more punch though. They've also gotten fairly spendy.

It’d be ok if you are itching to hunt with a cool old rifle. (Savage 99). I think performance wise you’d have more options with a 243 or 25-06. They originally achieved that 3,000 fps with lighter bullets than 100 grain although there are way more efficient powders now
The way I heard it, it was designed to use 100 gr bullets but Savage wanted a rifle at 3000fps and that with 87gr bullet's was the first one. Newton developed it!

I just went online and asked about the .250 rifling twist

Apparently there are two .250's. The original 250-3000 had a 1in 14 twist and could not handle spire point bullets heavier than 100 grains and I found it to be just okay with the 117 grain round nose. My old reloading manual warns us that it could not handle 120 grain spire point bullets.

When the Savaage 99 went to the tang safety the twist went 1 in 10 and it was a whole different big game caliber.

This information was not "official" asw it came from shooters on the internet, but it did match my experience.

Unfortunately the Savage 99's I love the most are the old ones with the 1/14 twist.

It was the 6.5 creed of the day. Kind of like Rurak hunting Africa acouple decades later than Glasser, with a 220 swift. Thinking it was the best of the best, and it sucking so bad he wrote a book about using enough gun. 😀

The 250 I'm sure would work fine but I'd rather shoot something a bit bigger. A mature bou bull can be the size of a raghorn elk. I've got nearly 150lbs (cut and wrapped) meat off bulls. Most are a bit smaller. I also think Glasser embellished a bit. Some of his hikes are fantasy. I've walked a lot of the same country.

Also I'd rather have more than 100gr of lead when a griz strolls by, but everyone has their own comfort level.
Yea Yea shooting bears with a Swift seems like a good way to get tore up.

I rebarreled my Stevens 200 with a 24 inch, 1:10 twist barrel.
Performs very well on coyotes with the Sierra 90gr BlitzKings.

Decided to try it for deer last year as shots would be under about 100 yards.
Used the 100gr Ballistic Tip. Didn't get the 115gr untill too late to develop a load.
Took 2 deer, but was underwhelmed with the performance.
The 257 Roberts is a much better choice.
I think the added speed increases the shock value for putting game down.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back