Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

243 lead-free ammo help

Goatshoes

I currently shoot a hand loaded 95 gr Hornady SST out of my 243. It has proven devastating on two antelope that I shot last year; 1 at 100 yds. (dead in her tracks), and the other a young buck walking at 243 yards (ran about 20 yards and collapsed).

I feel confident with my accuracy out to 250 yards and feel with some practice I can stretch that out to 300 yards.

I plan to make a California mule deer hunt this year or next which requires lead-free ammo.

It looks to me like the heaviest lead free projectiles in .243 is 80 grains (Barnes TTSX). Is that correct?

If so, does anybody have any experience with the terminal performance of this load at distances of 200 yards and beyond?

Would it be appropriate to use on mature mule deer to 250 yds? If not what is appropriate assuming I can place the shot in the lungs?

Thanks,
Steve

Nosler catalogs a 90 grain lead-free in 6mm. http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/e-tip/e-tip-6mm-90-gr-spitzer-w-band-bullet-50ct.html

Barnes catalogs an 85 grain lead-free in 6mm. http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/tsx/

I tried the 85 grain Barnes in my Sako last year, but could not get the groups I was looking for. I gave up and settled on the 95 SST over H4831SC, as time was running short for a pronghorn hunt I wanted that rifle on.

I've always had great luck with the terminal performance of Barnes out of my 280AI though.

Velocity is your friend, so load "light for caliber" and run the lead-free bullets fast.

I have been using the 80 gr TTSX over H4350 for 3 seasons and have taken 3 antelope, a mule deer and a few whitetails with good results. Here are recovered bullets from quartering shots.

pQhdLd5l.jpg

Antelope buck at 450 yards

hlinIncl.jpg

Whitetail at 200 yards.

I would not sweat 80 vs 90 grain mono bullets being the limiting factor on .243. The TTSX has 1000 ft-lbs of energy out to 400 yards or so. With good shot placement I'm convinced they are some of the best 6mm hunting bullets out there.

I would recommend starting with the 80 grain Hornady GMX bullet. If your gun already likes Hornady it would be a good place to start. You will sacrifice .05 BC but if you're shooting under 500 yards you will not notice the difference. A 80 grain bullet may seem light but it will have near 100% weight retention. I have tested the SST bullet quite a bit and the average recovery weight after shooting that bullet into water at 100 yards is 70%. After its all said and done a 95 grain bullet with 70% weight retention will weigh 67 grains. The 80 grain GMX bullet will roughly weigh 80 grains, usually losing the red polymer tip.

In my experience the GMX needs at least 2000fps to reliably open to at least 1.8x the original diameter. After you find your right powder load I would suggest shooting through a chronograph and look at a ballistic chart to see where your bullet crosses that 2000fps threshold. I will say that shooting out to 300 yards will be perfectly fine.

Happy hunting

I have been loading the Barnes 85 grain TSX for my .243 for years now. I've killed several elk with it at ranges of 250-350 yards. You will have no problems with it on mule deer at the ranges you are considering.

I had great luck with 85gr TSX, grouped well with most powders tested. I'll have to look at my log book for the load I went with. When I did my part I got inch or better groups at 200 yards. I used that load to take 2 Wyoming antelope in '15. First was a chip shot of 50 yards (complete pass through), dropped dead with the shot. Second was 100 yards quartering away, the buck went 25 yards and expired. Recovered the bullet under the hide of the off shoulder. I was lucky to take such close shots, but would have trusted the load to much longer shots had I been forced to.

I too use the 80 gr T-TSX in my 243 over Superformance powder, pushing it to @ 3200fps. It performs well out to 350yds for me. Have not shot past that. Used on whitetails numerous times and a coyote, which was the one and only time I took a 350 yard shot with my 243.

Thanks guys. Anybody wish to share a recipe or should I just start with what the manufacturer publishes. I will probably start with the 80 gr T-TSX.

I am shooting out of a Remington 700 ADL

I use Hornady Super Performance with CCI 250 primers. Charge weight is 43.7 grains using Winchester brass and the 85 grain TSX.

I've been loading my bud's 80 grain Hammers in .243. Nothing killed yet..... mtmuley

In my son's 6mm Remington we are using Hodgons H100V powder and 90 gr. Nosler E-tips. He's taken 3 antelope, a nice mule deer buck, and an large cow elk. All have been one shot kills. Very impressed with that NOSLER 90 gr. E-tip!!

Just as a note, don't compare bullet weights of traditional lead core and monolithic solids, their densities are not the same so the weight isn't comparable.

I shoot for Cutting Edge Bullets, that being said I absolutely recommend them in everything. Yes they are pricey but if you use them for hunting 50 rounds goes a long ways after your initial testing. For your purposes and typical engagement ranges I would recommend the Copper Raptor. I'm not a fan of the GMX or Barnes for a couple reasons. The metallurgy of the projectile is rather soft in order to have reliable expansion, this softness creates a high amount of barrel strain and copper whipping (read fouling). This barrel strain causes lower than desired muzzle velocities and pressures that otherwise wouldn't be present. I'm not saying they dont work well or shoot well, they do for most people. Once you try a CNC turned monolithic you'll never look back. Most turned solids are not expandable but Cutting Edge has some the most devastating terminal performance of any projectile out there I've experienced. Look them up on Youtube and watch some of the test videos.

Their functional velocities are much better than most anything else as well, they really don't have an upper end limit by design and they maintain reliable expansion down to around 1600 FPS. I also use the brass raptor in 243s with jaw dropping terminal performance.

Barrel strain and copper whipping. That's two terms I have never heard before. I will certainly follow this thread to see where it goes. I hope to learn something new, you know "old dogs-new tricks".

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back