MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

'21 Elk in Wy

Well, as promised this is my "we actually put in for tags" update. I have three points and put in for my general tag this week. Walked my buddy through the cow tag application so now we just wait and see. Kind of worried point creep might get me, especially with the last round of Trump bucks coming through during WY application time. If I don't draw and my buddy does, we will make the most of it and go. Probably will mean I'll start looking into the other tag opportunities a lot harder in that area. But I'm going to try to stay optimistic and keep planning as if I'll draw.

On the gear front, we've made some purchases. The third member of the group picked up a canvas tent (not really a wall tent, but it will work just fine) so that's covered. I got a different puffy (EB 800 fill) and am very glad I did because it is much warmer than my previous one (a FF one that I didn't even know the fill power on when I bought it). The only one of us who didn't have an adequate pack got one for Christmas so we're good on that front. I got a kifaru gun bearer and WOW am I glad I did. By far the best way to carry a rifle with these frame packs. I'm still looking for a few things, such as gaiters (dual purpose because my boots and pants get SOAKED when I'm turkey hunting because of the dewy grass), sleeping pad, better base layer, and some odds and ends. Oh yeah, and I need some primers to load up my hunting bullets....

On the prep front, the two of us in worse shape (one does a lot of mtn biking and is in great shape) have been working out regularly. Once my covid quarantine ends, I'm planning some weighted hikes. Continuing to escout. Right now I'm focusing on finding areas that we should be able to glass from. Got a few places picked out.

So that's about where things are. Don't think there was anything else I wanted to mention that I haven't. Thanks again for all those who have helped out thus far. Not sure when I'll update again, probably at least once before the draw actually happens.
On you sleeping bag, keep you eyes open for an older oversized Coleman or such sleeping bag to put your mummy bag inside of. Makes all the difference in the world.

I've had the best luck the morning after it snows. It pushes the elk out of the trees into the lower country. I've shot a few 6x6 bulls the morning after a snow in the snowies. I hope for snow when I'm hunting. There is a lot of dark timber for the elk to hide in.

Well here we are at the 10 week mark. As you might expect, it feels like all the prep time we had has evaporated. There has been one major hiccup in the original plans. The buddy whose truck we were going to take has been having some pretty serious health problems for the last month and even if they figure things out soon I don't know if he will be in any kind of shape for the mountains.

Thankfully there was a backup plan in place and another buddy is ready to go instead. The one who has the cow tag also bought a 4wd suv so we have that to take instead of the truck.

Today I finally got out to the range to start working on my distance shooting. It took a few rounds to find my rhythm again but I was popping 10 inch plates at 400 yards no problem by the end of my session. I also was able to pop an 8 inch plate at 200 yards with my .22 which was pretty fun. All I did today was work the even distances, but next week I will work on the in between distances and then shooting off my pack and other stuff.

Pretty tough to believe that we are this close. Still a bunch to do to get ready but I can't wait.

A little over 5 weeks to go and I feel like we've got a million things left to do. The original third member of the trip officially will not be able to make it and still hasn't really gotten better or answers on what's going on with him. The replacement third member is not going to be able to get the time off because he leaves for Mali, Africa Saturday to go do some construction work out in the bush for a missions organization. So we are down to 2 of us, which we said from the start would be fine. Obviously the two big complications are driving and packing meat. Neither of those become impossible with two people, just more difficult than what we were hoping to be the case.

My little Lee single stage has been working harder than it has in a long while to keep up with my range time. I had been shooting a 100yd zero but I'm switching up to a 200yd zero after looking at the drop charts, talking to better LR shooters than myself, and getting nervous about the in-between distances. I haven't had any problem connecting, but I want to simplify and eliminate as much human error as possible (like mixing up a BDC hash or misdialing elevation).

A very trivial detail also got ironed out because the care facility my wife works at was getting rid of their emergency water jugs (they have to abide by strict expiration dates) so we will have plenty of jugs of water for the trip all neatly packed in cardboard boxes. That's obviously way down on the list of things to do, but free is free.

I was reminded today that I need to order some elk sized game bags. Other than that, I think all the necessities have been covered. There's a few extras that I may pick up but otherwise I just need to organize everything and start making my packing list and reviewing things. Deer season (archery) opens here next Saturday so I'm hoping to have a bloody pack to take to Wyoming.

For anyone still following this, when we actually head out, should I keep the updates in this thread or start a fresh one?

My little Lee single stage has been working harder than it has in a long while to keep up with my range time. I had been shooting a 100yd zero but I'm switching up to a 200yd zero after looking at the drop charts, talking to better LR shooters than myself, and getting nervous about the in-between distances. I haven't had any problem connecting, but I want to simplify and eliminate as much human error as possible (like mixing up a BDC hash or misdialing elevation).

i'm no LR expert by any means, but i do have a guy at work that is very much an expert in LR, Handguns, Reloading, competitive shooting, etc. so basically i get all my firearm related advice from him.
i too had started with 200m zero. and it works. especially if you dont want to adjust your elevation turret at all between 0-300, etc.
but he did explain something to me, that makes 100m (yards in your case) a better Option to ZERO with. given that you have a good scope on your rifle*

it goes something like this:
lets say you shoot 5 shot group at a 100m(yrd), and with an MOA rifle lets say you actually do have 1" group. so you're now zeroing to center of that group. and if your shots around this center point that you're zeroing to are all 1/4" to 1/2" around it, you now have 1/4" to 1/2" margin of error., stretch that out to 500m (yards, whatever) and that 1/2" margin of error now become 2.5".

so when you zero to a 200m(yrd), with MOA rifle, your group should be under 2". so lets say your center point between 5 shot group is littered with 5 holes that are all around this center at 3/4 to 1". *(thats your margin of error or whatever we're calling it).
so you're now ZEROing your rifle on a group that is nowhere nearly as tight as your 100m(yrd) group. and as you take that 200m(yrd) zero with its margin of error and stretch it out to 500m(yrd) you have a great chance of being Off/Error in either direction.

***but hey, if you can drill same hole at 200m(yrd) wiht all 5 shots or so, then go ahead and ZERO to that distance, but if your group is somewhat spread out, i was told it's better to keep it to a 100m(yrd) where you can have a much tighter group.

with good rifle scope your elevation turret will correctly adjust for DROP every time exactly the same.
i keep a 0-600m chart printed out on side of my rifle stock in 50m increments. **I actually use HOrnady ballistic app, print out chart is a back up or if i dont have time for an app. i print it out in advance, include 10mph side wind column, and do so for 1 or 2 elevation option i will be hunting that trip, and also for few different temps, as all of these make small difference outside of 300+m.

so last year i re-zero'd at a 100 as at that distance you can pretty much get holes on top of each other.

whichever you decide should be fine if you're not pushing it past 300, etc.

good luck, and keep us updated.

i'm no LR expert by any means, but i do have a guy at work that is very much an expert in LR, Handguns, Reloading, competitive shooting, etc. so basically i get all my firearm related advice from him.
i too had started with 200m zero. and it works. especially if you dont want to adjust your elevation turret at all between 0-300, etc.
but he did explain something to me, that makes 100m (yards in your case) a better Option to ZERO with. given that you have a good scope on your rifle*

lets say you shoot 5 shot group at a 100m(yrd), and with an MOA rifle lets say you actually do have 1" group. so you're now zeroing to center of that group. and if your shots around this center point that you're zeroing to are all 1/4" to 1/2" around it, you now have 1/4" to 1/2" margin of error., stretch that out to 500m (yards, whatever) and that 1/2" margin of error now become 2.5".

so when you zero to a 200m(yrd), with MOA rifle, your group should be under 2". so lets say your center point between 5 shot group is littered with 5 holes that are all around this center at 3/4 to 1". *(thats your margin of error or whatever we're calling it).
so you're now ZEROing your rifle on a group that is nowhere nearly as tight as your 100m(yrd) group. and as you take that 200m(yrd) zero with its margin of error and stretch it out to 500m(yrd) you have a great chance of being Off/Error in either direction.

***but hey, if you can drill same hole at 200m(yrd) wiht all 5 shots or so, then go ahead and ZERO to that distance, but if your group is somewhat spread out, i was told it's better to keep it to a 100m(yrd) where you can have a much tighter group.

with good rifle scope your elevation turret will correctly adjust for DROP every time exactly the same.
i keep a 0-600m chart printed out on side of my rifle stock in 50m increments. **I actually use HOrnady ballistic app, print out chart is a back up or if i dont have time for an app. i print it out in advance, include 10mph side wind column, and do so for 1 or 2 elevation option i will be hunting that trip, and also for few different temps, as all of these make small difference outside of 300+m.

so last year i re-zero'd at a 100 as at that distance you can pretty much get holes on top of each other.

I'm sub MOA with the rounds I load and have a maximum shot that I'll take of 400, and only in perfect conditions. Like I said, 200yd zero eliminates the most variables for me. I've looked at the charts and understand MPBR and the tolerances that work. I also have strelok and keep all my ballistic info there, as well as a simplified dope chart on my rifle.

9/3 update here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/21-elk-in-wy.303344/post-3257699

8/9 update here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/21-elk-in-wy.303344/post-3245813

5/20 (tag draw) Update Here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/21-elk-in-wy.303344/post-3207589

12/8 Update Here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/21-elk-in-wy.303344/post-3112489

1/15 Update Here: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/21-elk-in-wy.303344/post-3134208

Okay, so next year is the year. Unless point creep does something crazy, I'll draw my first ever elk tag. Looking to pull a general season WY tag. Me and a couple buddies went out to WY in '19 for an antelope hunt and had a great time. Learned a lot about what is and isn't needed for a week of hunting out there and making the trip. Elk was always my goal though. I've got one friend who is committed to go and another who is confirming plans to go. We're planning to leave NC on 10/12 and return on 10/23. That should give us 10/14 to scout and 10/15-10/21 or 10/22 to hunt. Not quite as long as I'd like to have, but pretty much the longest we could feasibly do with work schedules and the fact that my wife and I will have a 5 month old by that time. Our plan is to drive into the area I've e-scouted and camp at the truck. My general understanding of how a hunt should go is leave camp and get to a glassing point before dawn, hunt through the day, nap mid-day, glass in the evening, return to camp after dusk. This will be a rifle hunt. I'm looking forward to this and working on plans as much as I can. I'll try to update this thread as we go through the process of applying, preparing, and then hunting.

So I do have a couple questions as we get ready for this. Keep in mind that this is a general tag in the SE part of the state (MBNF). Speaking of that, if anyone is willing to PM me I'd love to run the spots I've got marked by you to get a feel for terrain/vegetation/roads/etc.

First, what's the probability that we get very cold temps and/or heavy snow? I know it's obviously a possibility, but looking at the average precipitation and temps, it doesn't look like the weather is too unfriendly to a few boys from the Southeast. I'm assuming wind will be the biggest weather factor we will combat, but I'd welcome correction.

Second, how foolish would it be for my buddy to apply for a cow tag? General season rifle is post-rut if I'm not mistaken, and I'll obviously be trying to find a bull. Are the bulls and cows going to be grouped together or separated? Mostly young bulls hanging around the cows, while the mature bulls hunker down?

Third, how should we plan our scouting day? Ride around or have the three of us go to different glassing points? Two guys glassing and one driving around? Something else?

Fourth, I see people talking about cooler capacity and saying they put an elk in a cooler "cut up and frozen". Maybe this is extremely stupid to ask, but how are you getting the meat frozen? Find a processor that will let you freeze your meat? Temps cold enough for it to happen naturally? What am I missing? (Yes, I realize that there's a good chance that we won't be successful, but a guy can hope)

I'm sure I'll have some more questions but those are the ones that come to mind. Thanks to anyone who can lend some advice.
Be sure to take a good set or two of tire chains and strong tow straps. We often needed both.

I know it's been mentioned on here before, but a chainsaw is a lifesaver sometimes. Lost half a day pulling trees out of the road with a towstrap after a bad windstorm in Idaho. (and beating the hell out of my truck in the process) Easily could have been stranded for a day or two in the area we were hunting. I never forget the chainsaw now, even if I'm hunting antelope lol.

As far as tire chains, make sure you get a spider bungie for them. I ended up needing mine in the Missouri Breaks after waking up to some snow turned mud after truck camping in a canyon. I actually bent a brake-line after the chain wrapped itself around the axle of my truck while trying to get out of the gumbo canyon. Very scary when you have no cell service, are alone and 75 miles from the nearest gas station lol. The worst part was crawling under my truck in the cold mud and trying to unwrap the mess for about 30 minutes.
Basically, everytime I take my truck west it gets the snot beat out of it lol.

A little over 5 weeks to go and I feel like we've got a million things left to do. The original third member of the trip officially will not be able to make it and still hasn't really gotten better or answers on what's going on with him. The replacement third member is not going to be able to get the time off because he leaves for Mali, Africa Saturday to go do some construction work out in the bush for a missions organization. So we are down to 2 of us, which we said from the start would be fine. Obviously the two big complications are driving and packing meat. Neither of those become impossible with two people, just more difficult than what we were hoping to be the case.

A very trivial detail also got ironed out because the care facility my wife works at was getting rid of their emergency water jugs (they have to abide by strict expiration dates) so we will have plenty of jugs of water for the trip all neatly packed in cardboard boxes. That's obviously way down on the list of things to do, but free is free.

I was reminded today that I need to order some elk sized game bags. Other than that, I think all the necessities have been covered. There's a few extras that I may pick up but otherwise I just need to organize everything and start making my packing list and reviewing things. Deer season (archery) opens here next Saturday so I'm hoping to have a bloody pack to take to Wyoming.

For anyone still following this, when we actually head out, should I keep the updates in this thread or start a fresh one?
Consider a 300 yard zero.

You might be making this too difficult. Site in at 100, but have it shooting high to be dead on at 200 or 300.

Looking forward to seeing your trip unfold mate and hopefully you have some success.

2 weeks until we leave. Pretty much every morning, after I look at our weather forecast I look to see what the weather looks like on the mountain. I'll be glad to shed these 80+ degree days.

Final range day will be next week. I'm feeling good about the time spent getting familiar with my rifle out to 400. I still have to load the actual hunting rounds and not just range rounds (I measure each charge for the hunting rounds, I only measure every 20 or so for the range).

A couple odds and ends need to be picked up but nothing major. I have some free time today so I'm going to start getting everything together.

We've got our #1 spot picked out via e-scouting and quite a few backup spots based on what everything looks like once we get to the unit.

I thought I was going to get some meat packing in this past weekend but none of the does I drew back on cooperated with me. Next week I'm going on a fishing trip with the men from church so not too many actual prep days left. We'll be journeying on out of here before too long. This will probably be the last update to this thread and I'll start a new one once we head out. Thanks again to everyone for the advice offered through this thread and PMs. It has helped a bunch to confirm or correct what I thought. Good luck to anyone else who'll be joining us out in WY.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back