2023 AZ Javelina Double

Dumb question of the day - when you field dress them, do you hang them head up or head down? And even though its a dumb question, I really want to know.

David
NM

Nicely done!

I have almost 30 AZ javelina points and will be a resident in AZ by 2025 so will burn the points on a hunt then. Any advice on how to locate javelina, how to close the distance or where to set up for an ambush? Look for water or a certain vegetation or directional landscape? Do they have predictable patterns of movement?

I know zero about these critters and do not recall any posts that really offered an on-ramp to getting up to speed.

I have hunted turkey quite a bit in spring and fall so presume some overlap with strategies for javelina. If there is not, have hunted pronghorn and deer and elk prerut, rut and post-rut. And rabbits.

Appreciate any wisdom you can pass along.

Dumb question of the day - when you field dress them, do you hang them head up or head down? And even though its a dumb question, I really want to know.

David
NM
David:

Honestly, I gut them like I would any other animal and drain them while they’re on their back…..drain towards the rear. Once I get them to the truck tailgate, I take all the meat off the bones and package for sausage, etc.

Nicely done!

I have almost 30 AZ javelina points and will be a resident in AZ by 2025 so will burn the points on a hunt then. Any advice on how to locate javelina, how to close the distance or where to set up for an ambush? Look for water or a certain vegetation or directional landscape? Do they have predictable patterns of movement?

I know zero about these critters and do not recall any posts that really offered an on-ramp to getting up to speed.

I have hunted turkey quite a bit in spring and fall so presume some overlap with strategies for javelina. If there is not, have hunted pronghorn and deer and elk prerut, rut and post-rut. And rabbits.

Appreciate any wisdom you can pass along.
That’s a lot of points for a stink pig! 😁. For archery, I can draw the tag every year. My experience has been that I find them in prickly pear/ cholla patches. I usually wear bears feet /SneekTec over boots to get in close. Both of these pigs were arrowed at 20 yards. Their sense of smell is incredible, so the wind direction is critical. On colder mornings, look sunny hillsides as they feed and get warm. As it warms up, they’ll get in washes, etc.

My wife and I got lucky and arrowed two Javelina seconds apart. Both ended up being good sized boars. Perfect to make lots of chorizo! View attachment 260524View attachment 260525View attachment 260526
So those seem like exceptional animals. I just got ba k from first javelina hunt. Killed a boar that I was told was a nice javelina, but nothing like that. Never saw an animal the size of you and wife's.

Does size very by region, or is it a result of hunting pressure? I only saw one other hunter,but we were hunting couple miles from road

So those seem like exceptional animals. I just got ba k from first javelina hunt. Killed a boar that I was told was a nice javelina, but nothing like that. Never saw an animal the size of you and wife's.

Does size very by region, or is it a result of hunting pressure? I only saw one other hunter,but we were hunting couple miles from road
The desert region we arrowed these at are known for some pretty good sized animals. I would say the climate and feed sources help in that area?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back