Caribou Gear

2023/2024 Trapping Thread

Had a couple days off for Thanksgiving and sure enjoyed it. Pretty slow trapping but I picked up a nice muskrat yesterday.

View attachment 303323

And another muskrat and a nice mink today.

View attachment 303324

I also started working on sewing up my first fur garment, a pair of mittens for the kids. I’m mostly done. I just have to sew in the liners.

View attachment 303325

I’m still waiting for the otters to come through. I have some really good sets waiting for them.
@NoWiser Any tutorials you could recommend on sewing fur mittens?

Darling Leather and Fur. You can buy the patterns and she includes an excellent tutorial. It was worth every penny. I started working on otter mittens for my wife tonight.
Are you doing your sewing by hand or do you have a machine?

Got permission to trap coyotes today so guess that’s a starting point lol. This same place I trap every year just been slow and not real ambitious this year. But looks like supposed to get some cold about a week out now if we could just get a few inches of snow

Put out six coyotes snares, a 220 for fisher and a weasel/mini set yesterday. With the lack of snow they are really coming from anywhere so I need to bring a bunch more snares when I go to check

Have had some spare time on my hands and no ice yet for fishing, so set some coyote and raccoon traps today.

I've snared a lot of coyotes in the past but need some snow for that and we don't have many fences around here. Have yet to catch one in a foothold, usually caught raccoons. Did a little more research and got my footholds back out and did step down dirt hole sets. Predator bait in the dirt holes and sprayed coyote urine around each set. Paid careful attention to getting them bedded right, then covered with a pan cover and peat moss blended with the dirt. Set them all in travel areas where I see coyotes regularlly or on trail cams. Fingers crossed to see if my skills have improved any.

I use the dog proof baited traps for raccoon, pretty sure I'll get a few of them.

I had a pretty good run on beavers in late November/early December. Picked up 8 in a few days and an otter. Ran K9 sets for a couple of weeks with little to no action (1 coon). Pulled sets because I got tired of remaking sets every day because of all the freezing/thawing that was happening mixed with rain.

Now that we have a few inches of snow, I might have to set some snares!

Otter season ends this weekend in Minnesota. Since I’m heading north on Friday to do some fishing and beaver trapping over the long weekend, I had to pull all my otter sets around home today. There’s been basically zero sign of any otters since the end of November, so it never really crossed my mind that there might actually be one in a trap. The first trap I went to pull I looked down and almost fell over when I saw a big male otter. Though the rest of my traps were empty, I couldn’t stop smiling the rest of the day. This is the only otter I’ve ever weighed and he was 30 pounds exactly. (And no, the otter is not alive in the picture.)

This weekend will be an adventure setting beaver traps in -40 windchills.

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 48
Otter season ends this weekend in Minnesota. Since I’m heading north on Friday to do some fishing and beaver trapping over the long weekend, I had to pull all my otter sets around home today. There’s been basically zero sign of any otters since the end of November, so it never really crossed my mind that there might actually be one in a trap. The first trap I went to pull I looked down and almost fell over when I saw a big male otter. Though the rest of my traps were empty, I couldn’t stop smiling the rest of the day. This is the only otter I’ve ever weighed and he was 30 pounds exactly. (And no, the otter is not alive in the picture.)

This weekend will be an adventure setting beaver traps in -40 windchills.
It'll be a beautiful piece of fur. Is that a 330 or 220?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back