2022 spring turkey

Hearing alot about TSS shot from this thread. Quick search suggested better in 20 gauge bore or smaller.
I am looking to up my game after more years than I care to admit.
Currently using an 11-87 12 gauge with Remington full choke.
TSS okay in a 12 gauge?...and any choke recommendations?
Thanks for any input.
I'm a rookie with TSS shot but after watching my buddy stone his bird at nearly 40 yards with his rossi 410 turkey gun I'm now a believer. So much so that picked one up myself at Sportsman's for $200 after watching a couple youtube videos where they pattern them at 40 yards with TSS. The thing weighs 3.5 lbs and is like a feather to pack compared to my 12 or even 20 ga shotguns. A definite plus when running and gunning North Idaho mtn turkeys.

I'm a rookie with TSS shot but after watching my buddy stone his bird at nearly 40 yards with his rossi 410 turkey gun I'm now a believer. So much so that picked one up myself at Sportsman's for $200 after watching a couple youtube videos where they pattern them at 40 yards with TSS. The thing weighs 3.5 lbs and is like a feather to pack compared to my 12 or even 20 ga shotguns. A definite plus when running and gunning North Idaho mtn turkeys.
Wasn't diddly for chokes at local Sportsmans but did score a box of 12gauge 3" 7 shot TSS.
Might as well shoot $11 down range at 50 yds and see what we got. ;)

Wasn't diddly for chokes at local Sportsmans but did score a box of 12gauge 3" 7 shot TSS.
Might as well shoot $11 down range at 50 yds and see what we got. ;)
Yeah I don't know why I'm so excited to pay more for turkey loads when I've had no problem in the past killing them with standard 2 2/4 or 3 inch #5 or #6 lead. It is unique hearing a "cha-ching" sound each time you pull the trigger when shooting TSS instead of the usual "bang" however.

Yeah I don't know why I'm so excited to pay more for turkey loads when I've had no problem in the past killing them with standard 2 2/4 or 3 inch #5 or #6 lead. It is unique hearing a "cha-ching" sound each time you pull the trigger when shooting TSS instead of the usual "bang" however.
Took me a second...^^

I started using TSS last year in my 20 ga. I emailed Apex and told them I had a Benelli M1 super 90 20gauge and they told me the Jebs and Indian Creek chokes would be best using #8's. I went with the Jebs choke and have been pleased with the pattern and the knock down of the load. Yes, TSS is expensive, but it's(hopefully) one shot per bird; I can live with that. And the 20 ga is a lightweight gun to carry making it easier on my shoulder!

Is anyone shooting tss out of a .410? They will be legal for turkeys in Iowa next year. And I was thinking a .410 would be fun for the kids, but dad might as well get use out of it too.

One of those night. Restless sleep all night. 2AM pulled up weather map. Heavy rain coming in the morning. Ok back to sleep after a sit on the front porch and a glass of wine. Heading out this afternoon for an even hunt and if I don't tag out with a 3rd bird sped the night for a Saturday hunt.

I may be done for the season. Still have a couple weeks, but the 6hr round trip is getting old. As well as the gas cost. Driving the Subaru helps but it is still atleast $20 gone

Good luck to those still chasing them!

Same gun, choke, and conditions both at 50 yards. First is Winchester 3in #5 super x. Second is federal premium TSS 3in #7&#9 blend. I know what I'm using from now on.
Always a battle to know how "low" to hold your bead. Lots of pellets flying over his head, but no shot getting into the breast meat. Dead bird for sure with TSS, probably not a rodeo with the #5 lead (my choice as well for shooting turkeys).

Thanks for posting your results @WildWill

One bird last year 3 shots and one this year. Learning to gauge your head shots is like shooting a running rabbit on the run and giving it a lead to just get pellets in the head. You'll need to take a box or 2 to get your patterns down to do so.
I use to shoot for the neck with the old #5s and get pellets in the meat. Now sighting in just above the head and no pellets in the meat.

Turkeys: 3
Matt: 0

I'm pretty sure I have hunting ADD. I had plans to park myself in one of those spots I had seen birds last time out, but on the way up I couldn't resist the lure of a gated road up a canyon with a creek running down it. 5 miles of hiking later and not so much as a sign of turkeys. This place just seems like it would have such potential, though. Someone really ought to let the birds know about it.

Hung out for a bit in a meadow.

IMG-1871.jpg

It was a nice morning for a stroll anyhow, the views were great.
IMG-1873.jpg

I did go check out my previous spots later in the morning, but didn't see or hear any birds at all. I chatted with another hunter for a minute, he hadn't seen anything either. I did spot a few birds on private land on the drive home.

I'm not sure if I will be able to get out again before the end of the month, but a boy can dream.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back