Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2022 spring turkey

I’ve about had enough of you guys posting these mountain Meriam’s. Anyone want to teach me how to hunt them next spring?
I’m really looking forward to chasing them next year instead of easterns.

Gonna stay off the work clock for part of the morning and it looks like a clear and cool night. Hope they gobble steady on the roost.

Results from my lucky hunt on the 23rd...

Attachments

• 20220423_100540.jpg
    20220423_100540.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220423_100935.jpg
    20220423_100935.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 8
I’m really looking forward to chasing them next year instead of easterns.
To me meriams are funnest, perfect combo of prettiest land and realitively easy birds to hunt. Rios can be fun and when you hit them right its amazing but the locations i have hunted them just isnt as scenic. Easterns at times just suck, they make you work to hard, often shut up to early and seem to be more weary(almost smarter). Easterns are just good for a challenge and high bag limits.

Finished up my season this morning with a 19.75 lb. gobbler sporting 1" spurs and 12.25" beard. Second bird this year that flew from the roost to my decoys. I can't say enough good things about the TSS shot for turkeys ! 5 birds with 5 shots from my Remington 870 that I purchased in 8th grade (1969) after working on a dairy farm all summer. I hadn't used the gun in decades, and "rebuilt" it last winter and made it into a turkey thumper. I have one tag left in New York, but probably will not get back over there.

Finished up my season this morning with a 19.75 lb. gobbler sporting 1" spurs and 12.25" beard. Second bird this year that flew from the roost to my decoys. I can't say enough good things about the TSS shot for turkeys ! 5 birds with 5 shots from my Remington 870 that I purchased in 8th grade (1969) after working on a dairy farm all summer. I hadn't used the gun in decades, and "rebuilt" it last winter and made it into a turkey thumper. I have one tag left in New York, but probably will not get back over there.
Heck of a season! Congratulations!

Filled my tag last Tuesday evening, as thing cleared off after a stormy day. Stumbled onto this spot back in February while out scouting. Checked on in again a few weeks ago and there was sign and I heard two birds gobbling in there. Just a small patch of the right habitat mixed into a steep mountainside. Went out Tuesday evening after work. Got into sign along the bench, then moved up to an open bowl and there were three jakes in it. There were two after I finished. Really cool to find this little pocket and then be successful.
Now to get my daughter her first bird. She turned me down on going that evening. I don't think she will do that again.

20220503_185904.jpg

I got out of my truck this morning to change a pair of bearings on the cotton planter, slammed the door and

GOBBALOBBALOBBABALA

so back in the truck I get, working my slate, seat laid back and my gun in lap. Two very fine gobblers came in to about 150 yards and hung up. If id had my decoy in my truck like normal I'm confident I would have been able to get one, which is a real slap in the face after I worked so hard to get one two weeks ago.

Couldn't sleep last night and got up before the alarm. Kinda felt too smooth and I realized my classic mistake when I got to the farm, unlocked the gate, and opened the barn. Yup, aft not going for the past two weeks my shotgun was still in my den where I left it - DOH!!! One extra round trip later I started out and still was before legal time.

However, no luck found me other than two old tiny forkhorn sheds and a small box turtle. Perfect Spring day in Virginia to be outside and I went over to see a friend for the afternoon.

Attachments

• 20220510_094441.jpg
    20220510_094441.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220510_082714.jpg
    20220510_082714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I did a camping/turkey trip to an area I visited a few years back. That time was May and I said next time I need to try being there for the opener, as the area looks great but the birds were pushed out of there by the time I hunted it. Didn't listen to myself and went back in May again to the same result. It was really good exercise, though, something I've been missing recently.

No spring bear season here in CO.

Attachments

• 20220507_193926.jpg
    20220507_193926.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220507_193915.jpg
    20220507_193915.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220507_055422.jpg
    20220507_055422.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 17
Hearing alot about TSS shot from this thread. Quick search suggested better in 20 gauge bore or smaller.
I am looking to up my game after more years than I care to admit.
Currently using an 11-87 12 gauge with Remington full choke.
TSS okay in a 12 gauge?...and any choke recommendations?
Thanks for any input.

Hearing alot about TSS shot from this thread. Quick search suggested better in 20 gauge bore or smaller.
Thanks for any input.
This was my first year with TSS. I set up my 12 ga 870 with an Indian Creek choke. I shot five birds (3 states) with the longest at 51 yards. The only way to describe the effect of the impact is "crushing". I used 3" shells 2 oz of #8. I bought it directly from Apex Ammunition. The are a small company owned by a couple of veterans located in Mississippi. Each round is handloaded. You can call them with any questions including choke recommendations. Certainly expensive, but I'll be ordering more for next year shortly. I'm out of tags here at home, watching two Toms, two Jakes and five hens in one of my food plots I can see from the house this morning :cry:

I've been using the Browning 3" 7&9 12 gauge shells in my 870 and 11-87 for a couple of years now. I just use a cheap Primos Tightwad choke I got on sale for less than $20. Very effective.

Thanks for any input.
Yes, TSS is fine out of any gauge, but it really shines in smaller gauges.
The general draw to TSS is because of its weight and density, you can get the same payload delivered by more, smaller pellets.
While TSS loads are all the rage right now, you simply do not need to spend that much money to get a quality turkey load. Some of these TSS loads are selling for $50/5 pack, which to me is absurd.
I would recommend finding out what patterns well in your gun. I have had great success with Winchester Long Beard XR #6s (about $20 for 10 shells) with either a full choke or an extra full turkey choke (I shoot a Carlson's which is about $50). If I'm shooting a 12 gauge at turkeys, I'm not spending up on TSS. If I had a small child that could only handle a .410 or a 20 gauge, I would spend up on some TSS.

Yes, TSS is fine out of any gauge, but it really shines in smaller gauges.
The general draw to TSS is because of its weight and density, you can get the same payload delivered by more, smaller pellets.
While TSS loads are all the rage right now, you simply do not need to spend that much money to get a quality turkey load. Some of these TSS loads are selling for $50/5 pack, which to me is absurd.
I would recommend finding out what patterns well in your gun. I have had great success with Winchester Long Beard XR #6s (about $20 for 10 shells) with either a full choke or an extra full turkey choke (I shoot a Carlson's which is about $50). If I'm shooting a 12 gauge at turkeys, I'm not spending up on TSS. If I had a small child that could only handle a .410 or a 20 gauge, I would spend up on some TSS.
Who cares about numbers, I know, but with my current set up I have killed between 55-60 birds. I find myself in recent years hunting later in the season when gobblers are typically henned up and more difficult to get in close. As well, I usually have limited time and a 6 hr drive. Point being after a day or two im thinking about filling tags . I'm comfortable to 40 yds but my pattern is opening up pretty good. Guess I am thinking how another 10 yds with a tighter pattern would be beneficial.
I hunted a very difficult gobbler last weekend. I was able to get him and his hens off the private on to my side of the fence just once. Had him strutting at 45 yards.
The TSS cost is absurd but still would like to try them, I guess. It would seem with limited time and considerable drive time I am wanting to increase my opportunity in situations similar to the one above.

Who cares about numbers, I know, but with my current set up I have killed between 55-60 birds. I find myself in recent years hunting later in the season when gobblers are typically henned up and more difficult to get in close. As well, I usually have limited time and a 6 hr drive. Point being after a day or two im thinking about filling tags . I'm comfortable to 40 yds but my pattern is opening up pretty good. Guess I am thinking how another 10 yds with a tighter pattern would be beneficial.
I hunted a very difficult gobbler last weekend. I was able to get him and his hens off the private on to my side of the fence just once. Had him strutting at 45 yards.
The TSS cost is absurd but still would like to try them, I guess. It would seem with limited time and considerable drive time I am wanting to increase my opportunity in situations similar to the one above.
Definitely understand your situation.
I'm not trying to sway you on TSS, but if I were you I would try a different choke tube with a couple different non-TSS loads first. If you're looking for another 10 yards, I think you could get that with the right tube. Indian Creek, Patternmaster, Carlson's, Kicks, Primos, all make tubes that you could pick up for a few dollars more than a box of TSS. Plus, if you don't get the full 10 yards you're hoping to gain, you can always shoot your TSS out of that same tube and potentially have a killer set up.

Definitely understand your situation.
I'm not trying to sway you on TSS, but if I were you I would try a different choke tube with a couple different non-TSS loads first. If you're looking for another 10 yards, I think you could get that with the right tube. Indian Creek, Patternmaster, Carlson's, Kicks, Primos, all make tubes that you could pick up for a few dollars more than a box of TSS. Plus, if you don't get the full 10 yards you're hoping to gain, you can always shoot your TSS out of that same tube and potentially have a killer set up.
Valid argument. Agree.
Probably worth a try since I have plenty of my go-to shot.
I did buy a super choke about 10 years ago and my shot pattern was horrible.
Guess I'm choke shy? :)

This was my first year with TSS and I shot two birds with it and my buddy who switched to TSS this year shot two birds. Although four dead birds is hardly definitive and I have seen plenty of birds killed with lead and hevishot, I agree with the summations that TSS really gets it done.

In a good year, I will shoot twice. Considering the hundreds of dollars I spend on gas, license, food, etc., a $15 shell is cheap and shooting the best shell I can get my hands on is a worthwhile investment in my book. Forget the added range, the extra lethality alone is worth it.

It is a busy time of year with the honey bees and pollinating, but made use of a the few nice mornings without high winds and rain. Amazingly enough I was able to get my three spring tom's in a variety of different terrain which made it a pretty cool year.
#1 was in the timber countryView attachment 221172

#2 was in the oak and balsa root country and my biggest tom to date :)

View attachment 221174

#3 was in the desert sage brush/juniper canyon country.

View attachment 221175
Well Done !!!👊🏻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back