2022 Spring Bears

Just returned from my second aborted mission. First time guy was stuck in his truck blocking the road. Couldn’t get him out so Gave him a ride to town. This time huge fir across road and I brought my dull electric saw. It went dead 😂 third times the charm going back Tuesday or Thursday with one of my real saws 👍 quite a bit of snow but I just want to get this specific bait set and we usually find a few elk horns

Love bear hunting, but have never done a spring hunt as they don't have them out here. Watching videos of spring bear hunts, the one thing that always catches my attention is the bugs. Seems daunting. Is it that bad, or did I just see too many warm-weather, humid hunts? It just seems common when the hunter finally shows his downed bear that the head is often covered with nasties.

Now in my 10th season of (fall) bear hunting, I think I've only needed my Thermocell once. Turkey is another story...

Wouldn’t mind if these two came back this spring. It’s kinda a crap shoot of bears come back year after year around here. I would really like a big coloured bear this spring.
View attachment 218703
View attachment 218704
Why is it a crapshoot for bears to return? Survival? Move on to a new territory? If it’s survival do you think it’s old age, another hunter, another bear? I think it’s very interesting that you don’t get bears to return.

Why is it a crapshoot for bears to return? Survival? Move on to a new territory? If it’s survival do you think it’s old age, another hunter, another bear? I think it’s very interesting that you don’t get bears to return.
I wonder if that's more of a spring-hunt thing too. Where I am, the females tend to return, whereas the males do not. Consequently I see many more females than males. Already have one on camera (April 15th) sniffing around the bait site. Memory or really good nose? Can't be sure.

I wonder if that's more of a spring-hunt thing too. Where I am, the females tend to return, whereas the males do not. Consequently I see many more females than males. Already have one on camera (April 15th) sniffing around the bait site. Memory or really good nose? Can't be sure.
If I woke up after a long slumber and hadn’t seen a woman in 5-6 months I’d probably be following the first one I saw too! 😂

The rut draws them to funny places, I think where they den in the fall affect where they are in the spring. Lots of good habitat out there not just where my bear baits are. Our farmland bears are much better about hitting a bait year after year but they also have much more restricted habitat for the most part. Last spring we shot two dominate big boats off that bait where the colour was so hopefully he takes over this spring

Memory once you have a bait a few years it gets hit a lot quicker then a brand new bait. Last year my established bait was hit two hours after I set it

Last edited:
Back