2022 Spring Bears

EYJONAS!

Alright, alright, alright.....

Given the latest content presented on this fine site. It's a pretty clear evaluation we need a change here. Soooooo.

Let's get the Spring Bears thread rolling. This is a fun thread to follow along on and share your stories. The spring is a special time, anyone will tell you that when your sitting on a ridge top that's coming to life right before your very eyes. So if your baiting barrels, spot and stalk, painting trees with molasses or..... your accompany some hounds to a tree. Let's hear them adventures folks! Share habitat updates, if you get into a shed or mushroom frenzie share that as well!

Looks forward to it everyone can't wait to see where the first tracks of the year can take you!

Good luck to everyone and be safe out in them bear woods!

Only the bruin knows......

20150507_202731.jpg

Last edited:
We still have a week to go.
We were out scouting this weekend.
Still LOTS of hard snow at 7500 feet but you drop down to about 5500 and there is some grass starting to green up.
We did see a bear, a very nice bear that JUST came out of its winter hide.
The sun was out and where it was the wind was blocked.
It set there for an hour just looking around then the sun got covered up and it started to snow. It turned around and went back in.
It was coffee-colored with a white/blond muzzle cool-looking bear.
No sign of cubs but there may have been in the den yet.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling @EYJONAS! The annual Spring bear thread is my favorite read of the year.

Getting my pack ready and submitting 3 weeks off in May to chase the big bruins finally! Good luck to all who put forth the effort! There's a few folks who I look forward to seeing success from!

@MTLabrador Don't blow your chance this year cause the yuppy's are watching ya.

Looking forward to all the pictures and stories posted here!

Always love watching this thread every spring, even though I've never hunted bear. Well that's not entirely true. I tagged along with a buddy in NM on an elk hunt one year and bought an otc bear tag. Spotted a black bear about 500 yards in a burn in some oak brush. Cut the distance down to about 100 and was so excited. Only to realize that black bear was a black heifer. Does that count?

Always love watching this thread every spring, even though I've never hunted bear. Well that's not entirely true. I tagged along with a buddy in NM on an elk hunt one year and bought an otc bear tag. Spotted a black bear about 500 yards in a burn in some oak brush. Cut the distance down to about 100 and was so excited. Only to realize that black bear was a black heifer. Does that count?
Why wouldn't it......

Spring bear hunts are the only hunts that i gain weight on! Hunt till 930-10pm, sleep in then eat breakfast. late morning maybe some glassing or exploring then eat huge lunch (basically dinner)after head out for evening. Evening hunt usually has a sandwich at minimum or few spots we build fire while glassing and cook some brats on a grill grate. No other hunt all year do i screw off so much and have little care about success and yet we seem to always fill or at least have chance to fill tags...lol

That’s a lot more adventurous than some bear hunts, also very desirable meat. Great hunt and write up!

It happens. A couple years ago my hunting partner and I were out, both glassed up a brown spot ~400 yards away, both decided it was a large burnt stump. Stump bears are everywhere, like bush bucks but different. 5 minutes later Dan-O looks back over to the same area and says "Cody, what happened to that stump?"

Hopefully some actual hunts being shared on this thread will help center everyone's focus back to what this forum is the best at. I miss getting an extra trip during the year for spring bears. I went five springs in a row with some good friends to Montana and I hate to think its been 7 years since I have been back now. I really enjoy seeing photos of camp, fishing, and the occasional dead bear from HuntTalkers. Brings back good memories of the few trips I have made. Good luck to the bear hunters! I will once again be living vicariously through each of you.

Good luck to everybody headed out the spring. I went to NW MT solo last may for a spring bear hunt and got my a** kicked but had a blast doing it and same some awesome country in the process. Just didn’t see any bears. A buddy and I had pipe dreams to head out this early June but at this point, I doubt it’ll happen. Life gets in the way of living.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back