MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2022 shed thread

Took a stroll before sundown and realized I should've left the sweatshirt in the truck. Came across a dead yearling six pointer and found an old spike. Not sure how the six met his fate as none of us shot at him. The field that borders the same property had over a dozen deer in it and three or four still had at least one antler.

Man drive this last weekend. Found 36 elk antlers, and 22 deer antlers... All still attached to heads, lol. Honestly I have only seen one buck that has shed and no elk yet. Just too early to get out yet here...

2 1/2 miles at the farm today turned up this buck Two hundred yards behind the barn. We hunted this buck hard all fall mostly in archery but never was successful. I had him about 38 yards mid October but never could get to send an arrow. I know he was still alive late November as he was showing up on camera. Might be a road victim, I have 4000 feet of road frontage on country road that seems to have more and more traffic every year. Sure would have liked to seen him this fall. 😡😡

Attachments

• 4D8C32A5-7CBB-4503-9816-FE87FEAC177E.jpeg
    4D8C32A5-7CBB-4503-9816-FE87FEAC177E.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 77
Tryng to avoid areas with elk in right now, went to spot that elk normally winter with a bunch of deer but due to mild winter knew there wouldnt be any elk. Seen a good buck in here 2 weeks ago but no luck finding anything from him or his buddies. Did find 2 elk (1 good sized) from last year (white but solid) 2 crap deer horns and half a deadhead lope. Overall good day! Fyi elk is not set (left much larger).imageedit_0_6804666330.jpg

I put on about 10 miles Sunday. Did t find anything but a boat load of stick-tights. My BIL was driving around on his UTV blaring music and enjoying a beer, he found one doing that.

It’s odd, since I was a kid there was always 3-4 spots bucks would hang out every winter that were always good for a few antlers. This year not only is there no antlers, it’s like the bucks were never even there. I guess I’ll keep looking.

I’ll be driving out to Central Utah in the morning for a week of camping, fishing, and shed hunting. I’ll have my wife and 3 year old in tow. If anyone wants to meet up or has a few pointers, let me know👍🏼. This will be our fourth time out looking for elk sheds and we’re still looking for our first one. In past years we’ve had a little luck with deer sheds, great luck with fishing, and amazing luck having fun/making memories. Can’t wait to keep the tradition alive

I’ll be driving out to Central Utah in the morning for a week of camping, fishing, and shed hunting. I’ll have my wife and 3 year old in tow. If anyone wants to meet up or has a few pointers, let me know👍🏼. This will be our fourth time out looking for elk sheds and we’re still looking for our first one. In past years we’ve had a little luck with deer sheds, great luck with fishing, and amazing luck having fun/making memories. Can’t wait to keep the tradition alive
Personally if I was going after elk sheds I would go one week later but I don't live in central utah so that could be bad advice. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back