2022 OTC Colorado turkey

Mudranger1

On April 11th I had ear surgery to remove a growth inside my ear (my good ear at that). I was off for a week and thought I would be perfect for turkey hunting. Recovery is minimal but I didn't want to be banging around at work so I figured I could hunt a day or 2 here and there. Well not sure what I was thinking because I couldn't hear shit. My hearing aid for my other ear was acting a fool so I basically spent the first 2 weeks of the season with a friend telling me if we were hearing turkeys lol. Went to my first post op check on the 21st and get some of the gause removed and my hearing aid back up and running. My buddy in his young dumb stage of life decided to get married 10 years ago during turkey season so I was on my own. Debating on if I really wanted to just wander the mountains I finally decided about 2pm Tuesday to head to a spot I go to once or twice a season. The main area is about 3 miles in but I always hunt my way in. I get down in the bowl I want to be and hear a turkey gobbling up in the pines. Get set up and 5 minutes later he is dead. 45 minute drive to get there, little over an hour walk to get in to spot. 5 minutes of hunting. 2nd year in a row I've killed 1 on my buddies day off. Ragging will be even greater than last year
IMG_20220426_184000_466.jpg

20220426_171816.jpg

On April 11th I had ear surgery to remove a growth inside my ear (my good ear at that). I was off for a week and thought I would be perfect for turkey hunting. Recovery is minimal but I didn't want to be banging around at work so I figured I could hunt a day or 2 here and there. Well not sure what I was thinking because I couldn't hear shit. My hearing aid for my other ear was acting a fool so I basically spent the first 2 weeks of the season with a friend telling me if we were hearing turkeys lol. Went to my first post op check on the 21st and get some of the gause removed and my hearing aid back up and running. My buddy in his young dumb stage of life decided to get married 10 years ago during turkey season so I was on my own. Debating on if I really wanted to just wander the mountains I finally decided about 2pm Tuesday to head to a spot I go to once or twice a season. The main area is about 3 miles in but I always hunt my way in. I get down in the bowl I want to be and hear a turkey gobbling up in the pines. Get set up and 5 minutes later he is dead. 45 minute drive to get there, little over an hour walk to get in to spot. 5 minutes of hunting. 2nd year in a row I've killed 1 on my buddies day off. Ragging will be even greater than last year
View attachment 220552

View attachment 220553

6:50 you say 2020 OTC… lol has it been 4 years in a row now!!?? Nice job good callin. More cutting, less yelping initially..? im taking notes… lol

6:50 you say 2020 OTC… lol has it been 4 years in a row now!!?? Nice job good callin. More cutting, less yelping initially..? im taking notes… lol
I said 2020 but I'm old ...lol years fly by. It was yesterday. I find the cutting seems to make them gobble more which means I can pinpoint where they are. And with 2 bad ears that is half the battle. My thoughts were on the setup he was by himself and I could get him to come down no problem (happened) or he was with hens and they would go on roost and I would come back in the morning for better chance. Also I had been yelping a little as I was closing the distance

I said 2020 but I'm old ...lol years fly by. It was yesterday. I find the cutting seems to make them gobble more which means I can pinpoint where they are. And with 2 bad ears that is half the battle. My thoughts were on the setup he was by himself and I could get him to come down no problem (happened) or he was with hens and they would go on roost and I would come back in the morning for better chance. Also I had been yelping a little as I was closing the distance
Sweet nice work! congrats on the bird!

Turkeys sure do live in cool places. Congratulations and happy to "hear" you put your convalescence time to good use.

Will you be doing your regular Kansas attempt this year?

Turkeys sure do live in cool places. Congratulations and happy to "hear" you put your convalescence time to good use.

Will you be doing your regular Kansas attempt this year?
Ehhh probably not I have a late season NE Colorado draw tag that after our 1st attempt is going to take a lot more effort than planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back