Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2022 Jan NM Muley Hunt

Well I found the big buck and his buddy with bout 8 does right away this morning. Trailed them around waiting for a chance to really stalk him. They kept feeding til 9:30 and then he split off and bedded or so I thought. He must have got back up while I was crawling. I crawled aways and got up on my knees and couldn't find him all a sudden I looked to the north and there he was bout 300 yards away up the hill watching me. There was a lil cut he must have went up aways while I was crawling. Well I went back to the truck and jus started glassing finally found his buddy about a 130" deer bedded off by himself, he had split off from the rest right away in the morning. So I go stalk him got to 56 yards and draw but it was blowing windy so bad I couldn't hold my pin on him. So I didn't shoot. Kinda glad I didn't get him now cuz I went to check out some other state land and saw lots of sign and in spite of the wind saw pry 20 or so deer. Got 50 yards from a lil 6 point but not what I'm willing to shoot this early in the hunt. Staked another decent buck and his 2 does but when I got to 85 yards and was waiting for him to turn his head all of a sudden his does took off, dont know if the wind swirled or what cuz I could barely see them thru the brush im fairly confident it wasn't cuz tge saw me they were bedded looking tge opposite way. By that time the wind had died down a good bit. Saw another really really nice buck at last light but didn't have the light left to make a play on him. Saw a few other small bucks as well

Missed him this morning at 55ish yards all because I guessed the range cuz I thought he was gonna take off before I could get a shot. Had my 40pin on the bottom of his chest and my 60 at the top of his back with my 50 in the middle and shot right under his brisket. Trailed behind him for a couple miles while he was crusing waiting til he got in some brush so I could get around him and stalk him. Alot of that I drove half mile or so behind him and jus kept him in sight til I had a chance to drive around and get ahead if him and stalk back to him.20220114_072611.jpglive and learn from our mistakes so a couple othenice bucks today as well but was so nasty windy couldn't get anything to come together. Tomorrow is the last day of the hunt hopefully I can connect. My willing to shoot a smaller buck will be more likely as well😁

Well didnt get my tag punched. Fought the wind bout half the day. Had a couple of close encounters but jus couldn't get it done. Got 63 yards from a bedded buck and was waiting for him to stand and take a couple steps so I had a shot. Well he started standing and I looked down to raise my bow cuz I didn't want to catch it on the weeds and looked up and he was nowhere to be seen. So glasses carefully awhile and couldn't find him started creeping up still nothing. Get up to where he was bedded and there's a deep cut there that I couldn't see that he must have walked into. I back out and got up a hill and glassed and glassed for him. Never could find him. As far as I know he never knew I was there. So a couple other good bucks I couldn't get a good play made on and passed on a forkie hopefully he makes it a few more years.

Great looking bucks. Hope you tagged out. I live in Maine. I’m hoping to try late season archery deer in NM one of these years

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back