2022 Colorado Elk (1st Rifle)

WBouldin

This time next week I will be crossing into Southern CO to pick up my buddy and head to find a camp spot amongst probably many others. I have spent nearly everyday since early June pouring over maps and marking waypoints on GOHUNT maps - cannot believe the time is almost here! Shout out to some HTers who have been more than generous with my questions on the area and their experiences there. After all this, I feel like I have a solid core plan and 3 backups to that one.

Will get there Thursday night, make camp and then have Friday to scout prior to the opener on Saturday. The best part of this hunt is it will be spent with my childhood best friend who I have not seen since my wedding 5 years ago. He moved to CO as a butcher/processor and life has gotten in the way on more than one occasion. Elk or not, will be a solid week in the woods with good company.

Several pieces of new gear on this trip I will be testing/reviewing:
1. Kodiak Canvas 8 Person Flexbow
2. Big Agnes Lost Dog Sleeping Bag
3. Browning X Bolt Max LR in 6.5PRC
4. Altra Mid GTX Olympus 5 (new boot but like a running shoe)

Will try to post recaps and pics each night if I am able. Every time I think I wont have service, I do; and every time I think I will, I don't.

Good luck! Nothing like new memories with friends of death marches out of some hell hole with quarters on your back!

Good luck!

I watched a herd last night with around 30 cows and two decent bulls. Only the cows were vocal but most definitely still rutting.

Best of luck. Soak all the goodness out of the adventure. We are heading up the mountain azz Crack of dark Wed for first season as well. If we don't get to our area early camp site selection suffers badly. Gotta cut firewood as well.

I’m so jealous…I had similar plans but life said not this year.
I hope you both have sore back and knees from the pack outs! Enjoy it!

have a wicked awesome hunt... hopefully if we see each other out there its with heavy packs and large racks!

Last edited:
Well things don’t usually go as planned and this was no different.

The short story was just as I was leaving my whole family was sick - wife, 6 month old and 2.5 year old. All were in bad shape and knowing all our family was on vacation and not able to help out, we talked about me staying back and ultimately decided that I should still go on my hunt and they would get through it.

I left Thursday with the season opening Saturday. Friday morning I woke up not feeling great and figured I finally caught what they all had. Regardless, time to power through and scout for opening day. Each day got progressively worse - both for me and everyone back home. Opening day was awesome, the excitement overpowered how I felt for a little. We hunted hard and heard some shots but no luck for us. As we hiked out that night, I really felt it coming on. By the time we were back to camp, I had the shakes and a pounding headache. Committed to sleeping it off and charging forth the next day, I hit the sack early.

I woke up Sunday feeling absolutely miserable and an inreach back home confirmed that things were still bad at home. I made the decision to pack up and head home, driving 13 hours straight to get home last night.

Home now, everyone still sick but at least I can sorta help out. Not at all how I saw this going, but life happens and still have a deer tag to fill later this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back