2022 app season strategy

seeth07

So my wife and I don't want to draw any tags this year but we will still be applying in all the normal states we typically do. That's AK, AZ, CO, ID, NM, SD, WY. We just have a black bear tag waiting both of us to be drawn in WI this year after a decade of waiting so we need lots of time to make the best of that and I want to be able to take a few waterfowl only trips out west this year. So our strategy will shift a bit where we intentionally apply for harder to get tags (i.e. unit 100 in WY rather than snowies) and so forth.

Are we doomed to have these plans ruined?

Yes, doomed. You'll probably pull concurrent low odds tags in NM AND WY. :)

Good luck!

That's an impressive application list BTW!

Its not as bad as you would think because neither of us have any interest in goats or sheep. Applying for lope deer elk and moose isn't too bad.

Plan on it. That's how it works. It happened to me here in Nevada in 2020. I put in the 5 hardest to draw units for archery bull. I drew my 3rd choice. Get your go bag ready.

You answered your own question, you obviously need a new gun cabinet
When the new garage goes up this summer with the house addition between the two, there will be a fancy gun cabinet built into the new mud room. The money is already earmarked for that and still got extra for apps :)

Well who in their right mind wouldn't want a unit 100 tag? That darn useless brother in law from illinois?
You’re the one who said you didn’t want a tag this year. That’s why we’re all confused. Stop saying things you don’t mean. Garbage in garbage out. You put garbage in and now you’re getting a lot of garbage out of us.

If you don’t want a tag, there are some states you shouldn’t apply in. Almost every state you listed actually. If you want to donate money to states that don’t let you simply purchase a point, I’m sure there are ways.

I like wasting my money with the hope that at least some of that money at least results in something useful being done with it for habitat...
I’ll PM you my address. You can just send the money to me. I’ll use it for my applications for the tags I want to draw. That way some of it still goes to conservation and your bear hunt has no chance of getting interfered with. Win/win

Sounds like you need to figure out your (or your wife's) priorities. If it's not worth ruining your plans for whatever tag you would draw...don't apply.

Guess I failed at both making clear of our intentions and being funny.

We don't really want to draw another big game tag this year.

Our app strategy has changed to reflect this desire by changing the units we apply for to be the best known, hardest to draw.

If we draw one, we will be super excited and obviously alter plans. It will be a good problem to have.

The part trying to be funny - is this strategy the way to guarantee that you draw a super good tag?

Where is the fun in that than? I like wasting my money with the hope that at least some of that money at least results in something useful being done with it for habitat....

Plus I only have one slot left in the gun cabinet....
You need a bigger cabinet or another one! :)

Back