Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2022-2023 Waterfowl Pics Thread

If your getting liver taste your probably over cooking. I don't care for rare meat typically, but those widgeon and mallard should be good with no liver taste. Check out hank Shaws duck cooking recipes and tips on his website
Yup. Never ever to be cooked through, especially the breast. Medium rare us the go to. For the thighs, kegs, etc, you've got to slow cook for best results and with other stuff. As for skin and fat I like to render separate for duck fat 😋

No harm meant, you got er loaded up. I've never killed a golden eye. Pretty abundant there?
The plan is to grow up once these are gone, as in, stop putting more on but instead they'll go on the beer fridge.

We always have some around, but they're not very high on the list of ducks you want to shoot, esp early in the season, but we're locked up tight with ice most places. the only dabblers around on big water (kept ice free by wind) and I didn't want to chance the canoe on the river with both kids, not with it this cold. Plus since these guys aren't targeted much they decoy real well, I could have shot my limit if I'd tried to, but I really wanted my daughter to get as much shooting in as she could.

Last hunt of the season for us. Grumpy wasn't thrilled
View attachment 262885
Just a pair of goldeneye. We'll see if my culinary skills have improved enough since the last time I shot one.
Bake goldeneye for 30 minutes wrapped in a bike tube. Then throw out the duck and eat the tube. One of my least favorite fowl for eating. Open to suggestions for making them more palatable. They are fun to shoot.

Back