Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2022-2023 Waterfowl Pics Thread

First season really getting after ducks, lots of effort and lots of fun. Now I need to find a way to enjoy eating them,probably my least favorite game to eat.

Hank Shaw has a really good cookbook called "Duck, Duck, Goose". His website is also full of great recipes. Those are some great tasting birds you have shot. How are you preparing them?

Tried pan fried, Peking, cubed in tacos, the best has been slow cooked and pulled. It’s the livery taste I’m not keen on, I’ll always eat them but they’re bottom of the list. Brining has helped
If your getting liver taste your probably over cooking. I don't care for rare meat typically, but those widgeon and mallard should be good with no liver taste. Check out hank Shaws duck cooking recipes and tips on his website

I've done this recipe a lot and it's great. I'm no gourmet chef but it is doable.

After processing ducks I soak them in water and salt for a day or 2. I don't know if this is necessary but I do it and my birds generally taste good. I usually freeze them in plastic wrap. When I go to cook them I thaw them then dry them and leave them out for a bit to get up to room temp. Then I apply a little olive oil and kosher salt and let then sit a little longer. I cook them in iron skillet preheated to medium-high heat. I cook larger breasts like mallards for close to 8 minutes and smaller ducks like teal or spoonies closer to 5-6 minutes. If skin is on I use this method:

If I'm going for a quick meal I just season with cajun seasoning but the thyme/rosemary prep from the SDS vid is really good.

At the end of the day at some point u just have to realize duck is going to have some strong flavors. I've learned to appreciate it for what it is. YMMV.

Attachments

• 20211204_183309.jpg
    20211204_183309.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230121_092905.jpg
    20230121_092905.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 9
Nick, Sled hooked atop the cart. Got to walk quite away out the dike/levy from the refuge parking lot, roll everything out there. Then take the sled off and float the gear (in waders) to my final setup spot.

Hmmmm, a buggy behind Ellie… 🤔would likely be a rodeo
I needed something similar this year that buggy would have been just the ticket. I was on private so I would carry everything in the night before and stash it in the cattails. That gold old quick too.

I needed something similar this year that buggy would have been just the ticket. I was on private so I would carry everything in the night before and stash it in the cattails. That gold old quick too.

Works really good, don’t have to screw with my canoe and carrier this way.

Last time I did a tule stash I got there the next morning and it had sleeted then froze. My shit was just a giant ball of plastic hell, to be dealt with in the dark with frozen fingers!
No bueno!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back