Yeti GOBOX Collection

2021 WyoDoug's Antelope Hunt

WyoDoug

Going out this weekend with my DLSR to do some photography and scout for antelope and deer. I will be hunting both this year. This hunt will include @huntin' lunatic coming from west Texas and @mrfrie from Colorado and a few others who didn't draw but might come up to help with a Wyoming speedgoat hunt. Once I have images this weekend I will post them, but this hunt is now officially in the planning stages and eager to get with the guys and enjoy bullshit stories and that. Live hunt will actually be Sept 27-Oct 1 but I drew one type I any antelope and two type 6 doe/fawn tags so I may be doing day hunts after everyone leaves to fill any remaining type 6 tags I have. This is a DIY hunt on public land, walk-ins and with some parcels of private I gained permission to hunt.

Two things I am going to focus on during the scout:
1) Get an idea what the antelope population is
2) Get an idea what the drought is
3) Check the watering holes I found last year to make sure they still hold water.

I live in Cheyenne and we had good rain in our area and not in a drought this year but the hunt area we are hunting in is in "abnormally dry" situation which is the lowest drought category used on the map.

I am headed back again this year Doug. Very interested in the drought situation, populations and what the big winter storm did. I know where you are at and will be hunting the same unit I did last year which is just NW of you. Looking forward to your scouting. Be safe

I am headed back again this year Doug. Very interested in the drought situation, populations and what the big winter storm did. I know where you are at and will be hunting the same unit I did last year which is just NW of you. Looking forward to your scouting. Be safe
West of highway? Drought situation not bad. I found ton of forbes and water in my area. Rivers and creeks I checked running pretty full. Will be posting results of my scouting trip with pictures today. Just got back and overheated so going to relax and cool off first. Many of the fields are freshly planted. Not sure if rye or wheat but freshly drilled.

Results from August 15 antelope scouting trip:

1) Population is good from what I saw plus I talked to the locals in town and a farmer I met on the road. While I did not see large numbers this time of the year, I am told by locals that they do not notice a drastic drop in count in antelope. They said that the antelope are mostly staying away from the roads but close to water sources. I spotted some that were probably 300 yards or so from the road. Had trouble getting camera to focus and thinking about investing in another more powerful lens.

2) Drought situation is not bad for the areas I hunt and live. Much of the rest of the state is in severe drought this year. I would characterize what I saw as mildly dry. While I saw grass fields appearing dry, I also saw green patches intermingled. A lot of the wheat fields were freshly planted so they should just be sprouting come hunting time. I also got rained on even though it was only partly cloudy and 84 degrees. Most of the spring wheat has been harvested and I could see the green grasses underneath along with other vegetation. A lot of forbes all over, so no shortage of food like I saw last year.

Antelope were spread out from what I am told and from what I saw as you see in the attached images.

I also includes a couple of target signs I am told that both locals and visiting hunters have been shooting at. The landscape is also dotted all over with abandoned farm houses and barns. Another common sight is cattle on the road.

Attachments

• 20210815AbandonedFarm1.gif
    20210815AbandonedFarm1.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210815Cattle1.gif
    20210815Cattle1.gif
    830.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210815DirectionSign1.gif
    20210815DirectionSign1.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210815Does1.gif
    20210815Does1.gif
    140.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210815Doesq.gif
    20210815Doesq.gif
    114 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210815IrrigatedField01.gif
    20210815IrrigatedField01.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210815StopSign1.gif
    20210815StopSign1.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20210815WalkinSign1.gif
    20210815WalkinSign1.gif
    952.7 KB · Views: 38
  • OldWell01.gif
    OldWell01.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thanks for the report Doug. Not that us out of staters would cancel a trip based on it but it's sure nice to have a little info. Just gives a little insight on the general conditions. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the report Doug. Not that us out of staters would cancel a trip based on it but it's sure nice to have a little info. Just gives a little insight on the general conditions. Much appreciated.
The good news on drought applies ONLY to the southeast corner of the state closer to Cheyenne. Parts of the rest of the area all the way up to Douglas and east to the Laramie range suffered more significant drought and winter kill. Specifically, Laramie County is not in drought condition though we have water restrictions in Cheyenne. Platte, Goshen, and most of Converse Counties are in "abnormal dry" conditions and you will still find green vegetation and forbes this time of the year.

Update 8/18:

One thing I always do before my hunts is to check with the biologist to get an update on the health of the herd and an idea where they are most likely to be located. Know that biologists will not as a rule give you specific locations but they will give you general information. This year both I and one of the guys hunting with me checked in with the biologist.

Between what the biologist said and my own observations:
1) The herd count in the area has been in decline for last four years. I observed heavy drought conditions in past year but not this year. This year there are more forbes and shrubs available than in past years. Antelope prefer shrubs and forbes but will eat grasses and small grain crops especially when their preferred food is scarce. This along with my own observations of coyotes following the herds definitely validates what the biologist said.
2) Water is in good supply this year. They were hanging within easy distance of water sources when I did my scouting.
3) The antelope I spotted appeared to be in good health. All I spotted were does and fawns but I know the bucks are around somewhere. Even though the herd has been in decline, I did notice a decent number of this year fawns in the herds I watched.
4) No deer spotted. I spotted a bunch of mulies last year and plan to have a general in case I see one this year and carry my cross bow with me as archery deer and rifle antelope will be open at same time.

I drew down by Saratoga. Saw lots leading up to season. Didn't see many on Sunday, but only went out in the afternoon. Got permission to hunt the pivot we hunt most every year. Didn't put in for deer this year. Looking forward to Pronghorn rifle. The only pronghorn I have harvested with my bow took me two + days sitting in a blind. I slept too much.

I'm all about elk this year.

Update 8/18:

One thing I always do before my hunts is to check with the biologist to get an update on the health of the herd and an idea where they are most likely to be located. Know that biologists will not as a rule give you specific locations but they will give you general information. This year both I and one of the guys hunting with me checked in with the biologist.

Between what the biologist said and my own observations:
1) The herd count in the area has been in decline for last four years. I observed heavy drought conditions in past year but not this year. This year there are more forbes and shrubs available than in past years. Antelope prefer shrubs and forbes but will eat grasses and small grain crops especially when their preferred food is scarce. This along with my own observations of coyotes following the herds definitely validates what the biologist said.
2) Water is in good supply this year. They were hanging within easy distance of water sources when I did my scouting.
3) The antelope I spotted appeared to be in good health. All I spotted were does and fawns but I know the bucks are around somewhere. Even though the herd has been in decline, I did notice a decent number of this year fawns in the herds I watched.
4) No deer spotted. I spotted a bunch of mulies last year and plan to have a general in case I see one this year and carry my cross bow with me as archery deer and rifle antelope will be open at same time.
We're headed your way this Oct with an antelope tag in our pockets. Good luck on your hunt.

We're headed your way this Oct with an antelope tag in our pockets. Good luck on your hunt.
You'll find them. I finally found bucks yesterday. Trophies are a whole nother story though. If you are trophy hunting, you got your work cut out for you. It is quite obvious that they have been in a decline last 3-4 years as the biologist said.

Update 9/5:

I made a trip yesterday to take some garden produce out to someone I met while hunting last year and was so nice as to bring me cold beer while I was sitting and watching antelope last year. Plan was NOT to scout so I did not take my camera or cell phone BUT I did get some impromptu scouting in. Gotta learn to take my camera AND cell phone EVERY time I go to that area for any reason.

I FOUND SOME BUCKS FINALLY!!! Last time all I saw was fawns and does. They are not as numerous as in past years but they are out there. I saw maybe one trophy class buck in the 14-16 tall range, looked like really good mass but can't tell for sure how good without at least binos which I never took either.

The bucks were hanging close to drainages where a creek runs. No hunting permissions for that area but we can hunt right next to it. I am betting those bucks will be out in the open more especially with the rut in full swing. I also spotted one sitting on the side of the hill where he could be seen from the road I take getting to my favorite spots. That one was not a trophy but I would take him for the meat. Nice bulk in the body.

Getting antsy now. I pull in to the motel parking lot this coming Friday with my camper, a tent and a rack so we have a place to clean and hang antelope. Motel is being nice enough to let me do that on the cheap even. We got two rooms reserved that I know of. Can't wait to meet the guys coming out to hunt this year. You can bet some pictures are coming. I am fairly confident this hunt will be a productive one especially being most of us are meat hunters to start with.

Back