2021 Morels!!

Some day I want to try them and see what all the fuss is about
Honestly there are better or just as good mushrooms, but most people that mushroom hunt only go after morels. They are easy to identify which is not always the case and they are not commercially cultivated.

Please don’t judge me, yes I am going to eat this all myself! 😂 twice battered morels and turkey nuggets. The turkey are breaded in a Cajun spiced flour dipped in egg and breaded in saltine crackers. The mushrooms are breaded in garlic flour, dipped in egg and breaded in saltines. The turkey is dipped in honey mustard and it’s all washed down with a Corolla lager from the northern outer banks brewery. It’s the Last day of school and my daughter gets out 3 hours early so I just took the day off and now I need a nap.
1621962342114.jpeg

We had a great season around my parts this year. I fry them about the same as the op does. First time this year I tried dehydrating any

I'm happy to report the wife and I found a good bunch this past weekend in NW MT, thanks to a good friend who gave us the location after he picked it.

don't even bother asking.....😁

Attachments

• morels21.jpg
    morels21.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I’ve some good hauls, but nothing like that! Wow!
The burns can be pretty prolific if all the conditions are good, I know of guys who have hauled out 30+ lbs. in the good years. We have yet to do that, but the way this summer is shaping up next spring is going to be one hell of a morel year......

The burns can be pretty prolific if all the conditions are good, I know of guys who have hauled out 30+ lbs. in the good years. We have yet to do that, but the way this summer is shaping up next spring is going to be one hell of a morel year......
We do controlled burns in forest areas, I wonder if that would be the same. They don’t get as hot or as intense as a wildfire. Do you have the best luck the spring after or does it take a few years?

Strongly considering posting a "not looking for your spot, but" post. But I'm afraid the hostility would be more intense than the same thread on the elk forum.
I don’t really have a “spot” but I definitely have some things I look for in the woods when I’m looking for morels. I look for an elm tree that is in an area that will get sun, but not all day long. The soil stays a little damper around it. The tree is standing but the bark is about 60% on still and what is on is loose.
I have most of my luck around wild apple trees, if they have three or four branches off the main trunk and one of the branches is dead, I look real hard. I usually walk all the way around a tree real slow looking behind me every few steps. I find a lot after I’ve went past them and look at a different angle. If I find a mushroom It’s kind of superstitious but I’ll leave that mushroom until I find another one. I get down on my knees, look in back of me, just go real slow. It seems after I’ve found one at a tree they begin to pop out at me. Every year I pay close attention to the area I find mushrooms, usually if I find another area like it I’ll find more.

We do controlled burns in forest areas, I wonder if that would be the same. They don’t get as hot or as intense as a wildfire. Do you have the best luck the spring after or does it take a few years?
The morels grow the spring after the wildfires out here in the west, not sure what part of the country you're located in and if it would be the same situation with a burn. It's always the first spring after the burn out here.

I'm just glad right now I don't have to draw a tag and worry about point creep to come our west as a nonresident to hunt morels.

I was taught how to morel hunt by a relative who picks commercially. We didn’t weigh this load but it’s definitely up there.

Attachments

• 14D164B7-A75B-4AC3-B5B8-720B008885E4.jpeg
    14D164B7-A75B-4AC3-B5B8-720B008885E4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back