Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2021 Alberta shed hunting thread

bonedogg

Decided to drive a few hours with my son to see what we could find for antlers. We met up with a buddy and his son for some exercise, hiked the edges of his farm hard and found nothing for most of the day. Lots of deer sign, just nothing on the ground we could see. We went back to his farm for a fantastic home cooked soup and sandwiches on fresh home made buns and were off to a spot close to the house. Kids were having a blast, sun was shining but we could tell they were getting tired. We checked one last spot and when we split up I walked into a chunk of swamp spruce and on the edge spooked a big Buck but just couldn’t see his points, just knew he was big as his rack smacked the thick spruce on his way across the lease road. I wanted to check out his bed and found antler 1 between us. Not his, as he had both still attached.
41B8EED7-D33D-423E-930B-B96F7CC9C015.jpeg

His massive body makes his antlers look smaller in the trail cam pics, my buddy passed on him 2 times looking for big Doug.

Sure looks to be off the same deer. Dad and I found sheds off of a buck over a 7 year period. We found his set 2 times in that period with and single sides the other. We had numerous trail cam pictures of him as well. He had a very distinctive double throat patch. First shed we figured he was a 2 or 3 year old. He was always a 4x5. He topped out at about 160 gross. It was amazing how little he changed from shed years 4 through 6. He nose dived in shed year 7 (probably 9 or 10 years old) and we never saw him again so we assumed he died later that winter. It will be cool to see what that one does next year!

Definitely looks to be the same buck. The mass is incredible!
Wheres the pics of big Doug?

Never did get trail cam pics of him this year as much as he tried. His dad has seen him twice since the season ended in November so he’s still around....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back