2020 Trip Planning

Hunter112

Hey all,

Planning a first hunt for me and my son this year. We are stationed in Germany so I have to make my pennies count, originally was planning for south east CO mule deer since I'm from that area. Big thing for me is I tend to go 110% in everything and I need to make sure the hunt isn't too tough for the little guy. I want him to see a lot of animals and see some cool country. We hike a bunch together but I know anything in western CO is going to be really tough plus tons of hunters. South East CO is where I'm from and great but not great deer numbers, plus I don't have any points so I potentially couldn't draw the tag anyways. Although GMU 143/144 has pretty good draw odds and I know the units very well.

In my research I found the Black Hills SD Whitetail is a good hunt, from what I read good draw odds as well now? Plan is to fly into Denver, pick up my dad (and gun) in my hometown and take a drive, part of the adventure will just be driving around the west. Do you all have any tips for drawing SD? Or any other suggestions on locations? Need to keep it within about a days drive of south east CO. Not worried about trophy of course, just want to see a lot of game and have a good chance to take a buck. I have read a ton on here and other sites, I'm an experienced hunter and know I can find the game. Limiting factor is my son of course, I don't want to burn him out and make it a suck fest for him.

Thanks,

I see I mis-read SD hunt regulations and was looking at the draw odds for doe Whitetails. Not worried about trophy but I don't want to fly a few thousand miles for a doe. Looks like I'll keep looking.

Back