2020 Alaska Dall sheep hunter success ?

We were in the western Alaska range and lucked out with there being mature rams around, saw 8 legal over the trip and many younger. Got a nice 10 yr old double broomer out of it! Heard a couple outfitters in adjacent areas were really struggling though. We also found a 10 year old dead head and the other group at base camp found a legal dead head so the 2019 winter was hard on them. Where we were there should be good rams in 2021 though.B40A2BDF-2371-474B-B3F5-490831EC63D6.jpeg

Attachments

• C72B5D13-CDE7-467E-9430-812EBB4FD677.jpeg
    C72B5D13-CDE7-467E-9430-812EBB4FD677.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
Can’t wait to go in 2022
We were in the western Alaska range and lucked out with there being mature rams around, saw 8 legal over the trip and many younger. Got a nice 10 yr old double broomer out of it! Heard a couple outfitters in adjacent areas were really struggling though. We also found a 10 year old dead head and the other group at base camp found a legal dead head so the 2019 winter was hard on them. Where we were there should be good rams in 2021 though.View attachment 185680

Any advice for my hunt in august of 2022 for dall sheep?

Can’t wait to go in 2022

No advice as I haven’t done it but if you don’t mind me asking where and who are you going with? I’d love to do that hunt one day but right now with two small children and a blue collar job it’s best that I hunt the unlimiteds.

No advice as I haven’t done it but if you don’t mind me asking where and who are you going with? I’d love to do that hunt one day but right now with two small children and a blue collar job it’s best that I hunt the unlimiteds.
Kokanee guide service is who I went with. It’s my number one dream hunt.

Can’t wait to go in 2022

Be in good shape, where we were was not as strenuous as a backpack hunt in MT but guide said most hunters are physically underprepared. Be prepared to spend time glassing in the cold. Keep you pack light! Basically treat it like a backpack elk hunt with a lighter (but potentially longer) pack out. Good luck!

My wife and I went with Hidden AK, Buck Bowden is the owner, he doesn’t guide anymore I don’t think but is a great down to earth guy. I’m also not wealthy, but a sheep hunt was a dream and priority over a $70k pickup and bigger house, don’t wait they get more expensive every year and most outfitters will lock in the current price. Schedule it several years out if you have to but do it if it’s your dream! Randy’s saying is very true on money and time. A good friend of mine in his 40’s started chemotherapy last week for a hopefully controllable but incurable cancer emphasizing this.

My wife and I went with Hidden AK, Buck Bowden is the owner, he doesn’t guide anymore I don’t think but is a great down to earth guy. I’m also not wealthy, but a sheep hunt was a dream and priority over a $70k pickup and bigger house, don’t wait they get more expensive every year and most outfitters will lock in the current price. Schedule it several years out if you have to but do it if it’s your dream! Randy’s saying is very true on money and time. A good friend of mine in his 40’s started chemotherapy last week for a hopefully controllable but incurable cancer emphasizing this.
Is that the guy that Steve Rinella did an episode with on Meat Eater last season? I agree. You will run out of life and health before money. If there is any way I can in the next few years I’d love to do a Dall hunt. There isn’t a 70k truck sitting in the drive here either though.

Yes it is. Heard him on the podcast and looked him up. Must admit at the time we reserved (Feb 2019) his prices were behind the times which influenced the decision to pull the trigger. Believe it’s closer to the normal market value now. He is old school and I like that, his guides were great, Dave Mack was ours, very experience, my sheep was his 30 something. Tony does some management for Buck and was at base camp with us a couple nights and also a great guy and very experienced.

Back