2020 A Season To Forget, A Season To Remember

Thanks for all of your hard work and the effort you expend and expense you incur to bring us along for the ride. You help so many of us more fully connect with that which means so much to us. Wishing you and your crew all the best!

Nice to see you finally connected on a coues deer. I'm not sure what it is but I think this was one of the windiest falls that I can remember.

Whirlwind of a year in many regards. I'm glad you and your crew still made it happen with everything it threw at you. So happy that you finally got your grey ghost! Looking forward to watching the video.

Awesome Cous Buck Randy. Loved the day by day hunts this year. Been rewatching some of the old Fresh Tracks episodes as well. Looking forward to what you have planned for 2021 and hope next year is easier on all of us!

The wind was total crap this year. Never seen anything like it. I feel like at least 80% of our big game season was wind days.

Thanks for sharing Randy, I love the show and i truly enjoy watching it because of not being able to get out and hunt anymore because of medical issues so it allows me to see the nature and scenery through tv in which i miss very much. Thank you !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-08-05-13-03-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-08-05-13-03-1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I'm a total baby to hunting and owe much of it to you @Big Fin. At 50 I'm still scratching the surface of this life, but the encouragement I get from your positive attitude and ethical approach to this sport is part of what keeps me coming back.

Thank you.

BigFin, you are responsible for the damage to my budget by having my wife turn into an obsessive-compulsive hunter. Tried for 30 years to get her in the woods - your show and this forum got us fired up, got us an elk, and have us investing a significant portion of our budget on hunting everything there's a tag for here in NM. Next year, WY.

Most grateful, fine Sir.

David
NM

I'm sitting in the Tucson Airport, flying home after the final trip of what was an interesting season, to say the least. Lots to reflect on and lots to learn from.

This was a year of experiments, some of which we will not be trying again and some of which we hope to replicate in future years.

As with all businesses, 2020 was a rather trying time behind the scenes. Virus added a lot of cost and complication to what we do, but so far none of us got sick and we only canceled three hunts.

It was also our hardest year in the field. Not sure if it was a function of the days or locations, but this was the windiest year I've ever hunted. Wind adds a lot of complications to what we do, compromising audio and make it hard to stabilize footage that is very far off.

We had some great guests, some great stories, and some great hunts. I made my share of mistakes and my selectivity might draw criticism from some who expect me to tag any animals that present a chance.

I've been only an occasional poster here on Hunt Talk, with Kim running the operation most of the season. Not sure what the fee will be for her unpaid services, but I'll gladly pay it.

Time to get caught up here on Hunt Talk and reply to the mountains of PMs and other messages. Not sure I'll ever find the fortitude to tackle the pile of emails that await.

This was our 13th season. It was a ton of fun, as were the prior 12. I look forward to implementing what we learned in 2020 as we plan 2021, a planning process we are already working on.

Rifle Coues deer, a banner hatch of Gambel's quail, time with family and long-time friends, and some amazing weather made for one hell of a way to end this crazy season. By now I'm usually dragging my butt and needing a month of rest. This last week was a great battery recharge to get me excited for what 2021 might be.

Thanks for all of you here. Hope to be more of a presence in the coming months.

View attachment 165562

View attachment 165561
Do you think it would be possible to hunt the quail without dogs?

Do you think it would be possible to hunt the quail without dogs?
Yes,
I hunted Gambel's quail for years without dogs. They are runners and it takes learning a few techniques and preferably more hunter’s than just yourself.
First we would find them, then immediately bust up the covey if possible. It often becomes a track meet from there. Watch where they land and assume they hit the ground running. Hunt the singles if possible. They tend to hold better.

Last edited:
Yes,
I hunted Gambel's quail for years without dogs. They are runners and it takes learning a few techniques and preferably more hunter’s than just yourself.
First we would find them, then immediately bust up the covey if possible. It often becomes a track meet from there. Watch where they land and assume they hit the ground running. Hunt the singles if possible. They tend to hold better.
Yes,
Have you noticed a food preference or particular cover that the quail prefers? Are they more active in the mornings and evenings? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back