Yeti GOBOX Collection

2019 Wyoming Mule Deer BBD

HandgunHunter

2019 Wyoming Mule Deer

We left the house at about 445am and arrived to the section of BLM land around 630am. The fog was thick to the point you could see less than ½ mile. We covered roughly 2 miles heading towards our glassing point for the main drainage as we were waiting on the fog to burn off. As we passed the last finger before the ridge we wanted to glass from a heard of mule deer were on our left. The heard consisted of 2 bucks and a half dozen does. The bigger buck was at 151 yards with a head on shot and my initial plan was to take my mule deer with a wheelgun. He was well within my range but was only giving me a frontal shot and I was using hollow point bullets in the wheelgun. There was just no way I would take that frontal shot so out came the backup gun. The 7-30 G2 contender pistol with 4x Leupold scope. There was a small rise in front of me so I couldn’t shoot prone there so I closed the distance 25 yards to a higher hump and the deer ran as predicted. I got in a prone position and made some doe bleats which they didn’t respond to so I just resorted to yelling “hey” and they stopped just before the ridge. I hit the buck with the range finder at 325 yards. The bottom post plex (where the duplex goes from crosshairs to the heavier portion) is 6moa which is my 300 yard hold. I held 3” higher to compensate for the added distance and let the 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip fly from the 14” barrel and the distinct slap of a rib cage could be heard and the deer mule kicked and went over the crest. I closed the distance to find my buck within 15 feet of where he stood when shot. The deer was de-boned and packed out in one trip on my well used Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 18.

All of this minus the pack out took place before 8am….wonderful day in the field.

23FC4390-E9E5-4C71-9E3A-80B6B504DF52.jpeg

E997E358-0E01-40A7-878D-312C2F969651.jpegB02C4D86-AB40-4F29-ACB1-A5EC28D6DA4C.jpeg

Nicely done! Did G&F collect teeth and lymph nodes for testing and aging?

Had a question about the 7-30. I’ll just answer it here so maybe it will helps others.

The 7-30 waters is basically a 30-30 necked down to 7mm.

The 120 nosler ballistic tip expanded rapidly as designed and exited.

Back