Caribou Gear Tarp

2019 Controlled Hunts

Good for you! I had similar success my first year applying when I was 17 (turned 18 in September) in 1992. Got my biggest body cow elk ever. She was cut up over 250 lbs of the best elk meat ever. You will likely see just as many bulls as cows. It’s the best hunt you will likely ever have. Please post some photos of your hunt. Good luck, Preston

Thank you Preston. It's a pretty special opportunity for me. I started hunting later in my life than a lot of folks likely have. At 31 I've only been hunting for about 6 years. The first 4 being a yearly hog hunt my father-in-law got me started on. Last year was my first time to go deer hunting which culminated with two doe in the freezer. I've been getting myself prepared physically and mentally by getting a lot of hiking in and putting in plenty of time at the range. I'll be sure and post any content I get.

This was my first year to apply and I drew for a cow elk in the Wichita Mountain NWR.
I was in Wyoming and missed your post. Congratulations on the tag! Not gonna lie a little jealous I've got close to 10 points for elk. Did you draw the 1st hunt? Lots of elk out there you'll do fine. I would recommend getting a game plan together for cutting one up and getting it out. Watch some YouTube videos on cutting them up and have good knives and pack ready.

I was drawn for a late season hunt. December 17-19. I've been soaking up as many gutless field dressing videos as I can. I'm going to end up with a new pack and game bags before I go to be better equipped for the hauling. Hopefully you draw soon. I was shocked when I got that email since it was my first year to apply.

I was drawn for a late season hunt. December 17-19. I've been soaking up as many gutless field dressing videos as I can. I'm going to end up with a new pack and game bags before I go to be better equipped for the hauling. Hopefully you draw soon. I was shocked when I got that email since it was my first year to apply.
They run 3 hunts on the refuge every year. Your hunt is the second hunt the first is two weeks prior so might keep in mind that the elk have already been shot at and felt some hunting pressure. I would also recommend be proficient at shooting at least 200-300 yards. It can be pretty open country.

Thank you for your advise! I'm trying to develop some semblance of a plan for finding a cow. Knowing that they're going to be educated from the first hunt is helpful as I'm assuming they'll try to stay closer to sanctuary. I'm also assuming they'll have been herding together and in lower areas. Let me know if there are other considerations to take into account or if my thinking is unfounded as this will be my first hunt for elk and my first spot and stalk style hunt. I've worked up to 200, 300 and 400 yards. I don't feel 100% confident in that further yardage yet and intend to do my best not to take that long of a shot but I plan to get as much practice in as I can between now and then.

Thank you for your advise! I'm trying to develop some semblance of a plan for finding a cow. Knowing that they're going to be educated from the first hunt is helpful as I'm assuming they'll try to stay closer to sanctuary. I'm also assuming they'll have been herding together and in lower areas. Let me know if there are other considerations to take into account or if my thinking is unfounded as this will be my first hunt for elk and my first spot and stalk style hunt. I've worked up to 200, 300 and 400 yards. I don't feel 100% confident in that further yardage yet and intend to do my best not to take that long of a shot but I plan to get as much practice in as I can between now and then.
You'll do fine plenty of elk let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Thank you sir! I think I've got my TTSX load dialed in for the hunt. If I can I'll head out to the range on Friday to get more practice in. It's getting colder now and I'm realizing I may have to make a better cold weather gear plan.

When I hunted in the Wichita Mtns you were drawn and assigned to a specific area with 10 other hunters. Regions are A-K or something similar. It’s plenty of land to hunt, I would guess you have 7500-10,000 acres per area. It can be a physically tough hunt, so be in shape and long shots are frequent. Give the bison plenty of space. Good luck

Thank you sir. I wondered how they decided where you hunt. I've been out hiking as much as I can and getting in lots of range time. I've lost probably 10 pounds since I started getting ready. My last range visit I hit 3 out of 3 at 390 yards on an 8" plate. Those TTSX's hit hard. I plan to get out again in two weeks after I get more rounds loaded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back