Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2019 Colorado mule deer

Davetats51

We set off on our journey on Wednesday evening. I was behind the wheel first with Aaron set to take over after the first 4 hours. After a rainy and slow drive we were at our first checkpoint 4 hours from home as Aaron climbed into the driver’s seat the weather cleared and our spirits brightened.

Those high spirits carried Aaron 14 hours straight behind the wheel, I had never seen anything like it before. We plowed straight through the night and into the next morning, I then took over the wheel once again and took us the rest of the way to northwest Colorado.

Armed with two mule deer tags and an OTC bull elk tag we headed up the mountain only to find a much rougher forest service road than we imagined (remember this). Nevertheless we made it to our first choice camping spot, and found no one there, we were ecstatic everything was was going as planned.

After a few hours of camp setup we headed off to use the rest of the day to scout this new unit. Much to our surprise the landscape was wayyyy thicker than OnX or google earth led us to believe. What we thought were Meadows and openings actually turned out to be fields of 6 foot tall oak brush or juvenile aspens grown so close together you couldn’t walk through them.

After some miles in the boots we were able to find some open hillsides for glassing, so we headed back to camp content and with a plan to be there at first light on opening morning.

When we arrived back at camp we checked the weather only to find a potential snow storm for Saturday night that would dump between 8-12 inches in the high country where we were camped. And then another 1-3 inches everyday for the following 3 days after that.

With a commitment to be back home for Thursday night we had to be on the road Wednesday by midday. And with that pesky forest service road we came in on that snow would have us stuck on the mountain. So we decided to make a decision by noon the following day on whether or not we would have to pack up camp and head to lower elevation.

Opening morning came and we made it to our desired glassing spot where we found a few does and small bucks but no elk. We also only heard 2-3 shots which was very slow compared to most years. The morning came to a close and we hiked back to camp to check the weather. Sure enough it was gonna snow........a lot.

So as tough as it was we packed up and relocated to a hotel, not wanting to waste more of our limited time setting up camp again. It kind of worked out for the best as we both later agreed that the area we first hunted did not fit what were were trying todo. We love to glass and stalk, where we first started was really only conducive to still hunting.

That night I did some e-scouting and found a a new spot at a lower elevation. We would spend the rest of our hunt in this area.
Sunday found us perched on a glassing knob over looking a vast area of sage and pines. That day we found countless deer but nothing really to great.

After having to drop elevation we knew we would have to look for a bit of a smaller class deer because most if not all of the big boys would still be up in the National Forest. And at this elevation elk were almost out of the question as well.
Around 4 pm on Monday we glassed up what we were looking for. A nice 4x3 that got us both fired up. So we dropped down and made about a mile loop to get into range. I was able to take a shot at 275 yards and dropped him like a bad habit with the 300 win mag.

After pictures and soaking it all in, it was time to get to work. We got him quartered out and broken down in about an hour. We headed off for our 3 + mile hike back to the truck with heavy packs and big smiles. The following days were filled with high winds, blowing snow, and cold temps. We worked hard and found many deer and even a good amount of elk. But despite our best efforts we could not turn up a good deer or a legal bull.

Wednesday morning had us packing up and hitting the road. The drive back was long and boring with only two drivers, and the lack of excitement we had on the way out. Now it’s on to planning the next adventure! Thanks to everyone on here for contributing! I read a ton or stories asked a few questions and gained a lot of knowledge on this forumE1B08085-799E-4D2D-B7D4-AD967738ECA0.jpeg

This sounds really close to my first trip out to CO for mule deer during the 3rd season. We went 1 for 3 on our buck tags on a 6 day hunt with lots of snow. Killing nice deer in CO is harder than some make it sound at times. Congrats on having some success!

Glad you had a good time and congratulations! I have been fooled by Google earth myself a couple of times, my hunting buddies and I always say “never trust Google earth“ It’s an amazing tool, but it makes everything seem flatter than it really is and it rarely gives a good view of what vegetation to expect. It’s just part of the flatlander learning curve we have to deal with!

Good call moving camp to lower elevations when a big snow is on the horizon. I've experience many hunters that tried to move camp too late and had to be rescued...not a very fun experience, but you only do it once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back