Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2018 Colorado Harvest Data Posted

and in my attempt to beat a dead horse even further... use this data with a grain of salt. There are definitely some BS stats, I can prove that the numbers are flat out wrong.
CO get it together... Mandatory Reporting

Do it online, make it a preq to purchasing a tag or putting in a draw application.

Last edited:
View attachment 102919
and in my attempt to beat a dead horse even further... use this data with a grain of salt. There are definitely some BS stats.

CO get it together... Mandatory Reporting

Do it online, make it a preq to purchasing a tag or putting in a draw application.
Give me the cliff notes version here, whats the issue w/ the reporting?

1. They do a random sample of all hunters, it's possible that they don't even call a hunter to hunted in a unit.
2. For limited units/hunts they know how many tags were issued so they have a ceiling for hunters in a unit, for OTC units they have no idea. Numbers for OTC archery and 2nd and 3rd rifle are just WAGs. Someone could hunt 3 units kill a bull in one unit and never have their days in the other units reported.

I have smaller critiques but these are my biggest beefs.

1. They do a random sample of all hunters, it's possible that they don't even call a hunter to hunted in a unit.
2. For limited units/hunts they know how many tags were issued so they have a ceiling for hunters in a unit, for OTC units they have no idea. Numbers for OTC archery and 2nd and 3rd rifle are just WAGs. Someone could hunt 3 units kill a bull in one unit and never have their days in the other units reported.

1) its possible they don't call anyone and just make up their own numbers
2) it ask on the he survey if you hunted other units. so people may lie but the question is ask

always got to be negatives

1) its possible they don't call anyone and just make up their own numbers
2) it ask on the he survey if you hunted other units. so people may lie but the question is ask

always got to be negatives

My point is the entire system is computerized. Why spend any money calling.

As everyone noticed the system literally won't let you put in a big game app until you buy a hunting license, why not just a requirement that you have to have a hunt survey on-file from the previous year.

How would mandatory big game reporting be any different than HIP.

maybe i need to do my own research, but their numbers arent based on actual Elk registration and license numbers? That doesnt make sense -

My point is the entire system is computerized. Why spend any money calling.

As everyone noticed the system literally won't let you put in a big game app until you buy a hunting license, why not just a requirement that you have to have a hunt survey on-file from the previous year.

How would mandatory big game reporting be any different than HIP.
I have no problem with mandatory reporting . just beating on the keyboard while im bored

Honestly I would love to have them release the full results in excel format, i.e. you are saying there was a 12% success rate in unit x based on how many respondent.

They tell you the sample % and respondent % for the DAU but not unit. The stats for the unit I hunted last year are wrong, basically they actually talked to only 16% of the hunters in that DAU, I bet if you got the raw data that you would see for my season and unit they only called 4-5 people, and it's very possible those people didn't even hunt.

The harvest stats are cool and all, but they won't mean much until they find out how many are left after the winter. Wonder if they'll have population estimates done before next october?

despite it being a snowy winter, I'm not yet so sure there's reason to believe this was a harsher than normal winter for the animals. probably more of em decimated by avalanches than anything else.

Arizona is non mandatory as well. What incentive is there for reporting a kill in a GMU as a resident you can hunt often?
As I recall Utah required reporting before I was able to buy a license the next year. Computer controlled...

Ive always been honest on my reporting both in state and out, but I know many who lie about it and never state their harvest. IMO I think that isnt doing the biologist and/or animals any favors. So def take with a few grains of salt.

Yeah the goat data is messed up. The G15 and G16 data list drainages that are in G12 and some of the G 12 data includes drainages that are not in G 12.

it is so easy to do harvest reporting. Its insane its not mandatory everywhere. I'll have to ask my father-in-law if it ever has been a discussion

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back