PEAX Equipment

2014 MT Guided Bear Hunt

CabinFever

After having ankle surgery in March I was a little worried I wouldn't be real strong in the hills in time for spring bear hunting, so I hired a guide, my wife.

The guide, Sarah, dragged me along on about a 3 mile hike before she spotted the target bear, and we hustled for about a mile of her walking on top of the snow that I post-holed.

Eventually we got within a few hundred yards, and being a very poor judge of bears I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to shoot this bear. Sarah told me that I didn't have a choice, I was going to shoot the bear since she went through all the trouble of finding it for me. I didn't argue as she guided me to a good position for a hundred yard shot.

Upon walking up to this bear I found that it was ugly, scarred up, and had nicely worn teeth, though the body was not huge.

Sarah was a trooper on the pack out-She's never packed anything, and eagerly threw 3 quarters in her little Camelbak book bag, and we eventually found our way to the pick-up at 2am. The Mystery Ranch Metcalf w/ frame extension hauled like a dream for me.

I'm quite fortunate she encouraged me to shoot this bear, as the warden estimated it around 20 years old, and the taxi green taped the skull at 19". This will be one of my fondest hunting memories.

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
What a nice story. Hunting with our spouses beside us is second to none. Congrats to both of you.

Awesome story and great bear! I've never seen teeth like that before, that's pretty cool.

Awesome job man! Love those older than dirt bears. You made the right move listening to her on getting the trigger going:)

Hope your healing up!

Beautiful trophy and always listen to your guide! Congrats to you both!

Back