2014 Montana Leftover Tags??

NoWiser

Any bets as to if there will be any? I've got my app in for NM right now. I can't afford the expense and time if I draw NM and MT. My hope is that there will be leftovers again this year. Anybody want to venture a guess as to if there will be? I plan on coming out mid September to chase bugling bulls with the bow. Still after my first elk! Got close a few times in Wyoming last year but just couldn't quite seal the deal. This will definitely be a public land DIY hunt.

Thanks!

I'm betting it's a sure thing....I believe the number of leftovers the last two years was around 4k each year. In 2013 there were still 100 or so left by the time hunting season rolled around.

I'm planning on putting in for a B tag and if I don't draw will grab a combo then. If combo number get real scarce before the draw is out I may pull the trigger.

There will be tags leftover. Elk never sold out last year and deer didn't sell out until after the season started in 2013

Things may be a little different this year in regards to the combo tag.

With Montana eliminating ALL general mule deer doe tags state wide (thank you!) there will probably be an extra demand in the combo tag.

Leftover Elk combo tags should be a safe bet though.

With Montana eliminating ALL general mule deer doe tags state wide (thank you!) there will probably be an extra demand in the combo tag.

Almost all.

I have to respectfully disagree - most people that were buying those tags already had a gen deer tag , and for the NRs that were buying them and just coming to fill the freezer with a $75 doe I don't think many will make the $501 jump to the deer combo ($576) or deer/elk combo $976 . Could be wrong but just guessing most NRs that were only buying a B tag were doing so to cut cost of the trip .

Almost all.

I figured for the most part Mule deer doe tags were eliminated state wide when I looked at all the units I usually hunt as well as the surrounding units and saw no option for a rifle mulie doe tag. But I hadn't looked through every unit individually. Either way, eliminating all or most mulie doe tags was a great idea in regards to the struggling mule deer pop. but not a good idea financially. Im glad to see Montana making these kinds of adjustments to their quota when other states seem to hold the same tag numbers even through large die offs.

I have to respectfully disagree - most people that were buying those tags already had a gen deer tag , and for the NRs that were buying them and just coming to fill the freezer with a $75 doe I don't think many will make the $501 jump to the deer combo ($576) or deer/elk combo $976 . Could be wrong but just guessing most NRs that were only buying a B tag were doing so to cut cost of the trip .

That's another way to look at it. Could go either way I guess. Only time will tell. But Montana will take a big hit this year it seems like, with Antelope numbers and tags still waaay down in the east, eliminating most Mule deer doe tags, and never really recovering the NR hunters from the price increase a few years ago. Hope they figure something out.

Anyway, MT has my money and support as I applied again this year, even though I ate both of my tags last season.

Good luck to ya'll in the permit drawing.

I also sent them a big check - but the fun had will be irreplaceable and last a lifetime so it's well worth in in my opinion

I have to say I've never driven all the way from Nevada just to fill a doe tag. If I were ever going to get a doe tag as a NR hunter, it's just to have an extra tag in my pocket while I'm hunting something else.

Glad to see they got rid of doe tags for the most part with the herds struggling. Anyone think they'll cut the quotas on antlered deer if it doesn't get better?

Thanks fellas! With any luck I won't be coming to Montana (because it means I'll be headed to the Gila). But, "Plan B" definitely doesn't sound so bad! Good luck to everyone in the draws!

Back