Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2014 First season rifle Bull

Is a .243 adequate enough for elk in the hands of a skilled marksman?

• Total voters
I voted ,adequit........but not what I would or do use.
I'm an old -06 guy.......................John.

My thinking is that the bullet choice is more important that the caliber choice. A .243 with a premium stout bullet that will penetrate thoroughly (i.e. All Copper, Swift A Frame, etc.) is a better choice than a .300 mag with a soft bullet that will disintegrate before it gets through the vitals. I have always appreciated a bullet that will go completely through an animal and hold together. The whole caliber argument can go on forever as everyone on this site knows, and while it is fun, it can drive a person nuts. Shoot straight with what you know and stay within your limits. That's all I have to say about that.

When they first came out a friend of mine shot a raghorn on a rib to rib shot and it ran away. Four weeks later he shot a raghorn with his 06 and it turned out to be the same elk. A tricycle and my dodge diesel will both get me to Seattle. Which one do I want?

I tend to plan for my mistakes as opposed to the perfect opportunity. Last year was elk #71. In that pile I have had a handful of perfect conditions. Plan for the worst- I'm tired of finding other peoples mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back