2012 WY Pronghorn and Mule Deer

Today was a perfect day for hunting. The weather was great, deer were moving, and we didn't see another sole in the woods. Hundreds of sandhill crane came over on their way south. I love the sound of them passing over head. It always amazes me how they just decide today is the day to leave. Honestly, I couldn't help but long for my shotgun. It just felt wrong holding my rifle watching the flocks passed over. I guess it reminds me of mornings hunting geese from layout blinds.

This afternoon we headed back into the ridges we hunted this morning. Jeff spotted the same group of deer we saw this morning. 5 does and a fork horned buck. When he spotted them they were 6-800 yards infront of the finger he was on. They took most of the evening to feed up a dry creek bed within 250 yds of Jeff. He had decided to shoot the fork horned deer when one of the does spotted him. They quickly moved around the finger before he could get a shot. At this point he started motioning for me to head across the finger I was on. Guessing what he wanted I eased across the finger and began to glass with my binoculars. I couldn't see anything, but when I looked at Jeff he motioned behind me. When I turned I saw 2 of the does dropping around a point to my right. I picked up my pack and headed across the ridge to cut them off. I guessed they were headed toward a bottom we had seen them in before. Jeff followed a couple hundred yards behind as I crossed the main ridge. When I got to the finger over looking the bottom there was a line of deer below me. I ranged them at 208 yds, so I dropped down to shoot off of my bipod. I was having a hard time picking him out from the does in the fading light when one of the does spotted me and started to trot away. As they were heading out into the sage flats away from me I remembered I had a fawn bleat with me. I pulled it out and let out a few bawls. Instantly they turned and headed back around the ridge I was on. I hit the call a few more times. Suddenly they was crashing directly to my right. Something was tearing down the ridge toward me. It was breaking through deadfalls and brush. Honestly I thought "Oh sh**, a black bear is coming in for an easy meal. I whipped around toward on my knees when 3 deer broke though the shrubs 10 yds from me. It was 2 does and a small fork horn buck. When they saw me they turned and ran back down the ridge. I kept calling and they stopped and looked back at me. I was trying to shoot the forked horn buck when there was crashing directly behind me. I turned and the 5 does and first forked horn buck were coming up a swell 15 yds behind me. I swung and shot the buck as he came even with me on the ridge. He just rolled down the little swell. The other 3 deer ran down the opening, but stopped when I kept calling. At this point Jeff was only about 75 yds behind me. I yelled "there's a buckin the group!". Jeff dropped down and shot at the buck. It ran 20 yds but stopped when I called again. Jeff shot again. This time he nailed it. Jeff hadnt ranged the buck and thought he was 150 yds down the ridge, but when we were walking he was actually between 300-350 yds down it. Jeffs buck was lying neatly in a pile just a few yds from where he had been standing. We boned them and packed them back to the truck. It was about 1 mile from the deer back to the truck. We didn't kill the big bucks we had hoped for, but this has been a truly great trip. We killed our first antelope and mule deer. What was also special was we got to watch each other fill all of our tags. I worked harder for that fork horn deer than just about any deer I have killed. I will never forget those two groups of deer crashing toward me.

My deer was truly odd. He's still in velvet and he had no testicles. He had a scrotum, but nothing in it. He was a big bodied deer (for me from the South).

I am now lying in the tent waiting for the wood stove to warm up. Most of my body is sore from todays work. Truly a good end to this day. Now we have alot of work cut out for us when we get home. It'll be a frenzy of grindin, making sausage, and vacuum packing venison. Beth and I should be set for the year from my harvest this trip. Thank all of you guys for the words of encouragement over the past couple of weeks. When I get home I'll post lots of photos from the trip.

The next step will be polishing the dogs getting them ready for the upcoming season.

congrats on the antelope and deer, got some meat in the freezer now, I can't wait for waterfowl season too start either, got about 8 days till the opener....
Matt

Too many times we place too much emphasis on the horn rather than the experience. Congrats on a great hunt. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

Antelope Camp Photos

Guys, here are some pictures of our first camp. The deer and antelope would come into camp every morning and afternoon for water. The antelope buck was at a river access point on the way to camp.

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 284
  • antelope buck2.jpg
    antelope buck2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 280
  • antelope camp scenery.jpg
    antelope camp scenery.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 282
  • camp deer.jpg
    camp deer.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 285
  • camp antelope.jpg
    camp antelope.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 284
  • camp inside2.jpg
    camp inside2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 282
  • camp inside1.jpg
    camp inside1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 289
  • camp2.jpg
    camp2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 282
Rainbows, Browns, and Cutthroats

Here are some fish photos from camp. It was nice to walk out of camp and fish. It's tough to beat grilled trout, fried potatoes and onions, and cold beer when the trout were swimming an hour before. Jeff had the knack, he caught rainbows, browns, and cutthroats. I was only able to catch rainbows. This was definately the best trout fishing I have ever had the opportunity to do.

Attachments

• john trout3.JPG
    john trout3.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 299
  • john trout2.jpg
    john trout2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 277
  • john trout.JPG
    john trout.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 282
  • jeff fishing.JPG
    jeff fishing.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 291
  • jeff cutthroat.JPG
    jeff cutthroat.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 286
  • jeff brown.JPG
    jeff brown.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 278
  • jeff bow.JPG
    jeff bow.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 281
Antelope

Here's some more antelope photos along with the work that came after the shot.

Attachments

• skinner.JPG
    skinner.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 368
  • john doe.jpg
    john doe.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 270
  • john buck.jpg
    john buck.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 267
  • jeff dragging.jpg
    jeff dragging.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 276
  • jeff doe.jpg
    jeff doe.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 272
  • jeff buck-doe.jpg
    jeff buck-doe.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 272
  • jeff buck hauler.jpg
    jeff buck hauler.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 280
  • jeff buck.jpg
    jeff buck.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 271
Deer Camp

Overall this was a great hunting trip. We didn't get any giants, but we had a great time in left over units or second choice units. We are already planning the next trip out. The deer hunting was definately tougher, but I think we learned alot about hunting mule deer that will help out next time. The photo with Jeff and the sheds is the one we sent to the guys we work with.

Attachments

• john deer pack.jpg
    john deer pack.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 271
  • john deer.JPG
    john deer.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 278
  • jeff deer.jpg
    jeff deer.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Jeff-sheds.jpg
    Jeff-sheds.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 273
  • john glassing.jpg
    john glassing.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 269
  • deer spot2-2.jpg
    deer spot2-2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 275
  • deer spot2.jpg
    deer spot2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 269
  • deer spot1.jpg
    deer spot1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 272
One more

We also got to do a little sight seeing. Here's some photos of wagon ruts on the Oregon Trail, Register Cliff (settler's carved their name into it on thier way to Oregon), and Pathfinder Dam. We finished all of the meat processing and vacuum sealing yesterday. We ended up with 45lbs of summer sausage, tons of burger, and 20 packs of tenderloin. It will not hurt my feelings if it's a while before I smell sausage or smoke again. My portion will be split between me an my in-laws. My father in-law has a house on the Gulf and I swap him venison for snapper, grouper, and shrimp. Sometimes I wonder who's getting the good end of the deal. I am pretty sure he has never had to carry a pack of fish out a mile or two.

Attachments

• oregon trail1.JPG
    oregon trail1.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 273
  • register cliff2.jpg
    register cliff2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 270
  • pathfinder dam2.JPG
    pathfinder dam2.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 273
  • summer sausage.JPG
    summer sausage.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 268
Looks like a great trip, congrats! I really like that trailer. I'd love to find one like that in good shape for a good price. Doubt there's many places you can't haul that thing to without worrying about it rattling apart.

1_pointer,

Yeah, the trailer is built like a tank. They put 5200 or 6000lb axels under them so you can pull them off road loaded without breaking them. It makes them a little heavy though. Try www.govliquidation.com . That model is a m101a2 and is the best military trailer for pulling with a standard pick up. The a2 version uses 8 lug 16" chevy wheels. Bearings and seals are available from NAPA or www.etrailer.com .

Hope you guys enjoyed the photos.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back