2011 Wyoming Elk!!

Intothewindoutdoors

Well I have spent 66 days in the field this year. Mostly running a camera and helping other people out with their hunts and I finally got a chance to get in front of the camera!

I got a text on Friday night at about 10:30 from my partner saying he wasn't going to be able to go on a hunt the next day where I was supposed to film him so he said that I should go in his place. So I rounded all my stuff up and headed to bed. I had to meet some friends of ours in a town that was a hour and a half away at 5:30am so I hopped in my truck at 4:00am and I was off.

I met up with the guys at 5:20, we all jumped into my truck and headed out. The weather was horrible! it was about 35 degrees and the wind was howling but I was not going to waste this opportunity.

We spotted our first bull at about 8:30. Clay one of the guys with me saw it for a split second right before it went into some trees and bedded down but he was convinced it was a bull.

We knew it wasn't going anywhere so we went to another spot they knew had elk in it and saw two more bulls. A small 5x5 and a 6x3 that had one of his antlers busted off. The whole time all Clay could talk about was how he is 100% sure that other elk he saw was not only a bull but a good bull he just had a feeling about it.

So we went back to where we saw the first one earlier that morning and came up with a plan. We would walk in above him along a rock face glassing as we slowly moved closer until we could see him.

The first 4 spots we stopped and glassed for 15-30 minutes each and saw nothing. Now this is just a little pocket of cedar trees on a bald hillside so you would think that an elk would be easy to see but you would be wrong.

Finally, we get to the 5th spot and start glassing. We both see this little patch of hair in the trees and are convinced it is our bull! Now it’s just a waiting game.

We waited for 2.5 hours and froze our tails off but it finally paid off. As i was looking at the patch of hair through my binos I saw him get up! I got the camera set up for clay and then shouldered my gun. The bull took forever to feed around the trees and into an opening but when he finally gave me a clear shot I touched my new Savage model 16 .270 WSM off and put a Berger bullet right behind his front shoulder, he stumbled a bit so I shot him again and down he went!! Game over!!

What a great hunt! The best part is that I got to hang out and get to know two great guys, that alone was worth the hunt. The icing on the cake was that I also killed my biggest bull elk to date!

Huge thanks to Clay and Brad for all the help!!

Here are a few Pictures

Attachments

• Aaron's Elk 2011 010.jpg
    Aaron's Elk 2011 010.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 608
  • Aaron's Elk 2011 012.jpg
    Aaron's Elk 2011 012.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
Heck of a nice bull to go with your 'lope. Congrats, and good job waiting him out in the miserable cold.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back