MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2010 Idaho Archery Bull - small bull contest

Baerman

Well, it’s not the bull of my dreams but it’s meat in the freezer. It was a fun weekend of hunting. Last weeks cold and wet storm dumped snow on the peaks and I found myself in 6” of crunchy snow Saturday. At first light about 7 AM I reached one of my favorite locations to call from I ranged a few landmarks around me and put an arrow in my bow. I made two series of cow calls in a 5 min stretch with no response so I blew a few more cow calls and threw in a bugle and had a rag horn respond and come barreling down the mountain towards me. With the crunchy snow I could hear him coming in the entire way. As he reached the edge of the opening I was set up in he made a couple cow sounds then started walking the same exact path I had another bull take two years ago. Knowing the yardage he was at I called as soon as he came to the nearest opening stopping him in his tracks. There was a small branch crossing the lower part of his vitals but the upper half was wide open. He was standing at 45 yds, I put my 40 pin just below his back and let her fly. In the time I released that arrow and the time the arrow got to where the bull was standing he dropped the best I can tell three feet and the arrow went a foot over his back! He spun around and pealed out of there. I called a couple times stopping him and he came back a bit then circled the far side of the opening at about 80 yds out. I watched him as he completely circled me getting downwind of my location. Once I lost sight of him I retrieved my arrow and the rest of the day was pretty uneventful only hearing a couple more bugles off in the distance.

Sunday, I went to the same spot made a few calls and got no response. Not much of a surprise. So I continued up the hill to the next location. The wind was blowing down hills so as I would come to any opening I would set up on the lower edge of the opening to make a few calls. The last opening I would reach before making it up to the bluff on top at about 8 AM I set up and blew a few cow calls. Immediately I heard a loud snap. Knowing there was no way that was a squirrel launching pine cones to the earth below I stayed put not making another sound. I could hear squirrel like noises getting closer and closer and finally about 5 minutes after hearing the loud pop this spike pokes his head out at about 30 yds. There was a small tree directly between the two of us but I could see him well. He stood at the edge of the opening scanning the area below. After not seeing anything to his interest he began to turn and head back up the hill. As he did I drew, stepped to the side of the tree and cow called again. He stopped and turned so I let the arrow fly and he dropped in his tracks. Recovery was 0 yds. Not a trophy in terms of antlers but it will be good eating.

Now with meat in the freezer and my tag filled I’m hoping to call one in for my wife and she can claim her first archery animal. I saw a very nice bull opening weekend that anyone in Idaho would be proud of. With a lot of luck I’ll be able to share the picture of my wife holding it up within a couple weeks.

Attachments

• Greg's 2010 Idaho Archery bull.jpg
    Greg's 2010 Idaho Archery bull.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 493
Congrats! He's cute...and tender, nothing wrong with that. Good luck on calling one in for the wife, I hope she's able to get one this year and you can stuff your freezer even more!

Congrats ! If it wasn't for the point restriction in Colorado I think I could beat you in the small bull contest . :D

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to post a picture of my wifes bull after next week. The fun should really get going now. Good luck to everyone.

I'm gonna have to sit this years contest out, as mine was alittle gigger, but theres always next year. Congrats on the filled tag anyway. Looks like a great eater!

Congrats again man...have you figured out what this scores in our contest yet? :)

Congrats again man...have you figured out what this scores in our contest yet? :)

So far it's winning. That's all that matters. Besides I still have a couple tags to fill for the contest. AND my wife who is also in the comp has the best week of elk hunting ahead. If she wins then I win. Double odds....I like this game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madicks2
Back