Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2009 Rubicon at 104,000 miles

3855WIN

Looks well maintained. Is it about to have a lot of trouble after 100,000 miles?

Seems like a fair deal at $14,900.

I went to a dealer looking to buy a 4x4 and he basically said you have to realize who owns rubicons, exterras, 4 runners ECT. It's typically people who camp, off road, go down crappy dirt roads. They are rode hard and put up wet. And no it wasn't a sales pitch because I walked out with a cheaper car than what I was looking at and it's lasted 250,000 miles and counting. So that being said I would be very hesitant buying any used 4x4 unless I knew exactly who owned it and how it was treated. Like if it was a pavement princess or a weekend offroader. Also I'm not a big fan of the 3.8l minivan engine they threw in jeeps after 2004. I'll always be a 4.0 guy though I guess

I have 144k on my 08. No problems yet. I am pretty meticulous about my preventative maintenance though. I was pretty nervous about the motor (and still kind of am) after going from a 2000 4.0L TJ that I had 180k+ miles. The 3.6L in the 2012 and newer is great though. I use mine for hunting turkeys in the hills and all around fun but nothing long distance for hunting or big game.

Bigger things to look at are scrapes, dents on differential, rust on corners, rust around door hinges (have they been taken on and off a lot), scrapes and dents on bumpers, does the transfer case work smoothly between all modes, does it have stock tires, is there a lift installed already (bad if it is) and do the lockers stick.

Right now the 4 door Rubicons are the vehicle of choice for the soccer moms dropping kids off and picking them up at school around here. I very much doubt they are ever leaving pavement.

I've had mostly good luck with Chrysler, have 3, 2003, 2013, 2015. Have had some small electrical issues with the 2003, and just normal wear/tear on the others. The 2013 has 170k on it and plugs/wires is all than it's needed, other than a few recalls.

As others have stated, I'd be more concerned about the use and abuse it's been subjected to than the year and mileage.

Right now the 4 door Rubicons are the vehicle of choice for the soccer moms dropping kids off and picking them up at school around here. I very much doubt they are ever leaving pavement.

They are also not likely getting the mechanical maintenance they need...

Like all vehicles there is risk, but I wouldn't let that millage scare you. Many times it seems that hard driven vehicles out last the babied ones because the components get worked instead of sitting around rusting.

It doesn’t help you have to loosen a frame cross member to get the damned transmission pan down.

or the fact that some jacka$$ engineer decided it’d be a great idea to to use shitty steel bolts screwed into an aluminum housing. Broke 5 out of 6 heads off on that one.

or the fact that some jacka$$ engineer decided it’d be a great idea to to use shitty steel bolts screwed into an aluminum housing. Broke 5 out of 6 heads off on that one.
Fortunately I didn’t run into that. It’s an issue with Tundras too.

Don't do it. I read on a different thread Jeeps aren't reliable. I've had three though. mtmuley

I’d sure as hell pay a good mechanic to go through it so you go in with your eyes wide open. I looked at a used Grand Cherokee that looked clean as could be, took it in and it needed about 2800 bucks worth of work done to it.

you got to pay to play the jeep game unfortunately....is what it is. I've got an 09 with 93k on it no problems except leaky oil pan gasket ... bought it at a Porsche dealership with 54k miles for $16000

Wranglers have been one of the highest demanded vehicles in terms of sales the last 10 years and counting. As said before, mostly pavement pounders and "soccer mom" vehicles.
Get a good look at the underbody to see if it has actually been used off road. Look for scratches and dents in the softer metals and low hanging parts such as the exhaust, fuel tank cover and the A- arms. Beware of oversized tires, they can put a lot of extra strain on a drive system.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back