2005 hottest year on record!

Ithaca 37

How do you anti-global warming nuts explain this?

"A weak El Nino and human-made greenhouse gases could make 2005 the warmest year since records started being kept in the late 1800s, NASA (news - web sites) scientists said this week.

While climate events like El Nino affect global temperatures, the increasing role of human-made pollutants plays a big part.

"There has been a strong warming trend over the past 30 years, a trend that has been shown to be due primarily to increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere," said James Hansen of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, based in New York.

Last year was the fourth-warmest recorded. Average temperatures taken from land and surfaces of the oceans showed 2004 was 0.86 degrees Fahrenheit (0.48 C) above the average temperature from 1951 to 1980, according to Hansen.

The warmest year on record was 1998, with 2002 and 2003 coming in second and third, respectively.

Short-term factors like large volcanic eruptions that launched tiny particles of sulfuric acid into the upper atmosphere in 1963, 1982 and 1991 can change climates for periods of time ranging from months to a few years. Also, El Ninos -- when warm water spreads over much of the tropical Pacific Ocean -- have intense short-term influences on climate.

The spike in global temperatures in 1998 was associated with one of the strongest El Ninos of recent centuries, and a weak El Nino contributed to the unusually high global temperatures in 2002 and 2003, NASA said.

Carbon dioxide, emitted by autos, industry and utilities, is the most common greenhouse gas. Hansen also said that now, Earth's surface absorbs more of the sun's energy than gets reflected back to space. That extra energy, together with a weak El Nino, is expected to make 2005 warmer than 2003 and 2004, and perhaps even warmer than 1998, which had stood out as far hotter than any year in the preceding century, NASA said in a statement."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050210/sc_nm/environment_warming_nasa_dc_1

Ok, for one, I'm not ashamed I'm three sheets to the wind...

For two, I've only read about...one sentence of this thread...

For three, how in the F*** (<-- I edited myself :D) can you figure that 2005 is the hottest year ever after 40 days?

Whoa! even a drunk smalls can read. "A weak el nino and human made green house gasses COULD (note- not will, or should, or even...will) make 2005 the warmest year since records started being kept in the late 1800s, NASA (news - web sites) scientists said this week."

could? COULD?

Where will we all go with all of this emprical evidence! You're right ITHACA! RUN AND HIDE!

ps- this year the Twins could win the world series. this year the Packers could stop living in the past (no offense schmalts). this year idaho could become the rock star capitol of the world. this year alcohol could become sobering. this year mo could become completely uninterested in adult issues. this year pigs could learn to fly...if not only the really, really smart pigs.

Sitting here listening to record rains fall in sunny Arizona that broke the 9 year drought. Water everywhere and the reservoirs are full and spilling down the Salt river that is usually a dry bed. I was just about to beleive the sky was falling last year after such a long drought but the experts kept saying the climate has natural cycles. I do believe that heat islands created by paving etc can change local temp but don't think we are going to burn up too soon.

I can hear the roaring now... :eek:
The roaring of the forests on fire as I am working....
Bring on the dry summer... ;)

Good point on the fire comment. All the green growth now will be burning when summer comes. Always a cig butt flicked out some idiots window as he is driving by a "FIRE DANGER-HIGH" sign. :BLEEP:

Having studied Geology once in my academic life, I am aware that in the geologic record there are several documented periods of extreme warming sometimes followed by periods of extreme cooling (read ice ages). The Earth was accomplishing this long before we set our insignificant little butts on this planet. No need to get our noses out of joint over a degree or two here and there.

P.S. Smalls, bite your tongue. ;)

MO- I agree and disagree. ;) A few degrees isn't much to worry about as we have had natural variations much larger. But the rate we change those few degrees is a worry to me. I like the boiling a live frog analogy. Through a live frog in boiling water and he'll jump out. Gradually increase the heat to boiling and the frog will stay in the water unil it's boiling and he's dead. The point I'm trying to make (hopefully) is that organisms can adjust to gradual changes better than faster ones. Ecosystems and species have evolved (yes it DOES happen) to deal with gradual changes. Rapid enough changes could lead more problems because they are faster than the adaptability of organisims/ecosystems.

1 pointer, "Through a live frog in boiling water and he'll jump out. Gradually increase the heat to boiling and the frog will stay in the water unil it's boiling and he's dead."

Have you ever actually tried that? It's been disproved. Throw a frog into boiling water and it will kill him. Put the frog into water and heat it gradually and he'll jump out when it gets uncomfortable. Try it on the kitchen stove someday. Tell your wife it's all in the name of science. :D

Isn't SI a great place for learning all kindsa valuable information?! :D

Here's some discussion:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BoiledFrogs

Nope not tried it. I could be fun though, just make sure they're not spadfoot frogs or boreal toads!!! ;) I guess I'm sorta like Jesus, just using a parable to make my point, plus the walking on water makes duck hunting easier! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back