20 GA Over/Under- spend my money

YoungGun

I won a Daniel Defense Upper of my choosing recently, which is exciting in and of itself. However, I've been wanting to treat myself on what I would consider a "higher end" truck gun, or a "lower end" pass-me-down 20ga O/U for grouse, pheasant, etc.

In a perfect world, I'd go buy the O/U and slap the new upper on my lower and have a good time at the range from time to time. But it's not a perfect world. I've got a Noveske AR already that does everything I want, so I just see more money leaving my account by keeping the new upper (new optic, probably another suppressor, a tax stamp since I went with a shorty...) and frankly I clean too many star chambers for my liking each year anyway.

So here I am- a golden ticket to make due on the couple years of scheming about that 20ga O/U with minimal impact to the budget.

For quick reference- I looked hard at the 28ga route. But shell availability and price are factors, and I've got the nostalgia of growing up shooting a 20ga Belgium A5, and a decent number of 20ga bird loads to keep me entertained out the gate.

My daily driver for shotguns these days in a Mossberg 500 I won at a DU banquet at the ripe age of 5 (I cried because I wanted the chipmunk .22, but I didn't win that and my dad had me put a ticket in the 12ga tumbler instead), and it's the real truck gun in this scenario.

This new gun needs to be on the trim side- sub 7lbs preferably.

3" chambers, cause "merica. Bigger is better.

I like the feel of a Schnabel fore end.

Auto Ejectors over extractors aren't a must, but sound nice for most of my scenarios (frantic reloads after wildly missing a rooster under foot).

Interchangeable chokes. The more included, the happier my wallet will feel.

Steel shot compatible barrels (If you're suggesting an older shotty).

A traditional look- not the green action and barrels of the CZ Ultralight Upland.

That's about it.

For pricing- cap it at ~$2000.

Brands I'm considering in no order: SKB, Franchi, IFG/FAIR, used Beretta's, used Rugers, used Winchesters, used Remingtons, Browning Citori's (My dad has a couple- the son in me wants to rebel and not get a Citori, and most don't have a schnabel foreend), CZ, Rizzini.

I've looked at Stevens, Mossbergs, and Weatherbys. They're okay, but I have a deep hatred of the "Read owners manual before use" warning on any of them, and for that reason, I'm out.

I'm not interested in ATI, Tristar, EAA, or Iver Johnson etc.

I appreciate any input, opinions, experiences. Thanks.

The " read instructions before use" are on every new gun.
Heck, flip down the visor on a 4X4 truck, and there's a caution label.
Since at least 1986.
Even my Traditions inline had the "read instructions before use".

That wouldn't put me off from buying a Savage or Weatherby.

In my younger years, i had a Savage 242. It was .410 over .410.
Single trigger, with the barrel selector on the hammer. It accounted for many rabbits and pheasants. Unfortunately it was stolen from me.
But I'm getting to the point where I want and can afford to buy another one.

I've been out of the o/u since then.
But i'm sure there are knowledgeable people on here that have more experience than I.

Nostalgia with an A5? Here you go:
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/a5/a5-20ga-overview.html

Not an O/U, but you get everything else. Mind you, the new A5 has nothing in common with the old Auto 5 other than a name and similar looks. But they shoot. I've got one in 12 for waterfowl and love it.

Else, Citori or Beretta. For a field O/U either of those will work, work well, and last a lifetime.

I have yet to be disappointed by any of my Browning Citoris, I like a schnabel fore end as well. The CXS in 20 gauge might be a little heavier than 7 lbs. but does have the schnabel.
Berettas tend to run a little lighter than the citoris, I haven't heard anyone bad mouthing a 686.
Pick up whatever guns you're considering and check the fit, that's the most important part of any shotgun. If you're not automatically looking straight down the barrel when you put it to your shoulder it will be a struggle to shoot well.

I've been impressed with Dickinson Plantation's guns. A cut above CZ in terms of make, in your price range and lighter than Citoris.

In the used market: keep your eyes open for German, Belgian & Austrian makers. In a gun under $2k, I'd have zero issues lengthening the chambers & forcing cones if needed.

Here are 2 superb guns that will satisfy your needs for a nice 20 gauge, O/U, both well within your budget. I have several Winchester 101’s and prefer them to a Browning Citori. They are an excellent guns and will not disappoint…

IMG_5375.jpeg

Last edited:
Your budget affords Beretta. IF it fits, you can't go wrong. Browning will probably fit if it doesn't. Cheapskates should stick to Yildiz due to Briley handling warranty work.

Shotgun fit makes a huge difference. If an O/U doesn't fit perfectly out if the box then it's more work and harder to find a stocksmith by far than modern autos. Which is to say I'd consider a modern auto that takes shims. Getting shims or even a custom shim is much easier than stock work.

Lots of good recommendations- I appreciate them all. I've looked hard at the Franchi's- specifically the LX and the side plate.
Franchi Instinct LX checks all of the boxes.

The Franchi SL, while very light, has me wondering if an Aluminum receiver is worth the weight savings? Steel seems like a better long term option, or am I being close minded?

The " read instructions before use" are on every new gun.
Heck, flip down the visor on a 4X4 truck, and there's a caution label.
Since at least 1986.
Even my Traditions inline had the "read instructions before use".

That wouldn't put me off from buying a Savage or Weatherby.
Good point- The Stevens I've looked at just seemed to have the wording highlighted brightly on a blued barrel, so maybe it just stood out to me more? They otherwise seem like a good option for their price point and feel nice in the hand. The CZ Woodcock is in the same price range and seems to have just a touch more character than the 555s, base Orions, and Silver Reserves, and also felt quite nice shouldering it, minus the fore-end.

Nostalgia with an A5? Here you go:
I've still got the A5! So the Autoloader segment of my safe is, well, safe. Fantastic guns.

..The CXS in 20 gauge...
...I have the CXS in 20 gauge and love it.
I like the look of these! Most Brownings I've looked at all appear to have a bloated fore-end, which had turned me off on the options. The Schnabel on these helps tremendously with the looks IMO.

I've been impressed with Dickinson Plantation's guns. A cut above CZ in terms of make, in your price range and lighter than Citoris.

In the used market: keep your eyes open for German, Belgian & Austrian makers. In a gun under $2k, I'd have zero issues lengthening the chambers & forcing cones if needed.
This hadn't even made my RADAR- you've piqued my interest. Turkish import? I see their hq is in California, so would assume that is their importer headquarters. I will have to see if the local Sportsman's has any in stock to go swing.

Here are 2 superb guns that will satisfy your needs for a nice 20 gauge, O/U, both well within your budget. I have several Winchester 101’s and prefer them to a Browning Citori. They are an excellent guns and will not disappoint…
You have a fine taste in guns. I've found a few older (1950's-1960's) O/Us in my shopping. Will steel shot be an issue with any of those? Not so much for waterfowl, but for USFWS ground.

This hadn't even made my RADAR- you've piqued my interest. Turkish import? I see their hq is in California, so would assume that is their importer headquarters. I will have to see if the local Sportsman's has any in stock to go swing.

Yes, Turkish gun, with upgraded furniture, fit and finish. 6.5 pounds isn't bad. You can get a better used European firearm for the same money, though, but it's not going to have the chokes and I wouldn't use anything that isn't rated for steel - for steel shot. Bismuth would be the way to go for non-toxic unless you get the bbls threaded for steel positive chokes. .

A used Miroku (same maker as the Citori): https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-20ga-o-u-98-round-knob-.cfm?gun_id=102681719

Rizzini's are lovely guns. You're at the low end for their pricing: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...auge-beautiful-condition.cfm?gun_id=102696527

Lot's of Beretta's, Zoli's, etc in that price range if you like the Italians as well.

Yes, older shotguns without screw in chokes will be limited by steel. My buddy has a few Parkers from his dad and was going to retro screwin chokes!!! Never do that.CA. Now is all steel for any bird and all copper for a game.

Last edited:
Yes, Turkish gun, with upgraded furniture, fit and finish. 6.5 pounds isn't bad. You can get a better used European firearm for the same money, though, but it's not going to have the chokes and I wouldn't use anything that isn't rated for steel - for steel shot. Bismuth would be the way to go for non-toxic unless you get the bbls threaded for steel positive chokes. .

A used Miroku (same maker as the Citori): https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-20ga-o-u-98-round-knob-.cfm?gun_id=102681719

Rizzini's are lovely guns. You're at the low end for their pricing: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...auge-beautiful-condition.cfm?gun_id=102696527

Lot's of Beretta's, Zoli's, etc in that price range if you like the Italians as well.
Thanks! You had mentioned German, Belgian & Austrian manufacturers- any that stand out for keeping an eye on? This venture has been as much about learning new manufacturers as it has about shouldering and swinging the more common ones I can pull off the local gun store shelf.

Thanks! You had mentioned German, Belgian & Austrian manufacturers- any that stand out for keeping an eye on? This venture has been as much about learning new manufacturers as it has about shouldering and swinging the more common ones I can pull off the local gun store shelf.

Merkel, Simson, Sauer, Greifelt and Krieghoff are all good - but unless it's a newer gun I would not shoot steel out of them. Another thing to consider, especially if you are looking at 20's only is to keep the door open for side x sides. Especially in the used market, you'll increase your likelihood of finding a gun you like.

The Dickinson seems to hit all of your wants though, and it would be at home in a duck blind as well as in the upland fields.

The British straight grip is awesome in the field. My upland gun has one, while my shooting sports (Winchester 101) has pistol grip. The straight wrist is fast in the field, but you need to practice with it in order for muscle memory to keep you on target since you don't have the positive reinforcement with the grip to return your hand to the same position over and over.

I prefer a straight wrist in a field gun anymore, with the exception for waterfowling.

Back